Android os on a laptop?

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone knows the possibility of taking a ROM, converting it to pack into an ISO image and installing it on a laptop? I'm currently running linux ubuntu 10.10, I wasn't sure if you could get android to act like a full os. I know we can put ubuntu on our phones, what about the other way around?

Sent from my DROID running UD2.5 @ 1Ghz

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
That sounds like an awesome idea!! I would certainly be a willing tester for anyone that would attempt this.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
my question is, would it be as simple as creating an ISO image from the System files etc and insalling? Or would it be alot more in depth than this? I would assume the Kernel would need to be rebuilt to fit the computers much higher clock speeds (I.E. my old laptop is running 1.6Ghz)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would think there would be a leaked version of Android 3.0 once it comes out for us to mess around with our personal computers. I know it was made for the tablet, but someone might be able to work on it for dropping it on maybe a netbook.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
The project on the link is still 1.5-1.6, seems kind of pointless considering the lack of support, apps etc. I would think 2.1-2.3 would be better optimised for a project like that. Or have they given up?

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Anyone else tried to load anything from the links? I couldn't seem to get my ISO maker to recognize the android ISO's and the USB wouldn't install or let me partition.I tried running right from my thumb drive but it wouldn't load past the android boot screen. Maybe my laptop is just too out dated? its a compaq c300 running ubuntu 10.10, 1.5GiB RAM and Celeron 1.6Ghz CPU.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can run an emulator on the PC, but you don't have the drivers, etc... to actually run a PC with Android.

Consider they have Chrome OS and it doesn't do much of anything except let you browse the web. Sergei Brin, I think, has said Chrome OS will be integrated or merged at some point and then you might see it take off.

The question is why would you want to run Android on a PC? Cool but pointless. Ultimately, though, that does have to be the direction if you're talking about smartphones replacing the PC, the biggest hurdle being full-blown Office applications. I don't know how well it works, but even with Linux you need something like Wine to run Office.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
As far as documents go I just use google docs which works well enough for me. I also have chrome os on my thumb drive which I've been playing with. Its quite nice. Anyone who hasn't tried it should. As for android, I was just curious how it would run and what kind of integration it may bring. I see gingerbread and honeycomb running much better on a PC though considering its built for higher end devices, supports higher resolution, and is designed to work well on tablets.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as documents go I just use google docs which works well enough for me.

True, but for many business users google docs won't get it done. I can't say how much I look forward to the day I can ditch the laptop and bag and have a smartphone that does everything I need.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
That's true, have you tried documents to go? from my experience its quite nice and syncs with both google docs and your desktop.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's true, have you tried documents to go? from my experience its quite nice and syncs with both google docs and your desktop.

No, I have some very high-powered spreadsheets using advanced excel functions. Cloud computing is never going to be a solution for me, well not for many many years anyway.