Android Oreo On The Pixel XL Has Been Rooted!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oreo2-696x456-jpg.77793

The traditional root method no longer works on the Pixel XL once you update your device to Android 8.0 Oreo. Luckily there is already a root method for the device. GroovinChip of XDA also put together a step by step guide for the method which is linked below. To get your updated device rooted you will use Chainfire's SuHide along with SuperSU and AROMA SuperSU Config. This will allow you to get systemless root access going on your Pixel XL.

via XDA

Attachments

• oreo2-696x456.jpg
    oreo2-696x456.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,014

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Off topic slightly. Do you need to sideload 8 because I have no system updates available.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I downloaded the factory image and installed via nrt

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
but can you use android pay when you root? that is something that must be considered. even netflix will not play on some rooted phones though there may be a hack by now to get around the netflix blockage.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
but can you use android pay when you root? that is something that must be considered. even netflix will not play on some rooted phones though there may be a hack by now to get around the netflix blockage.

You can but you have to go through installing "this" and "that"... Then a few months later they find a way to detect root anyway and your doing it all again a few weeks later when the workaround is done. And don't even update your OS because you have to do it all again.

I found my answer to rooting this week. I made a raspberry pi VPN so I always have an encrypted VPN to my home, and also installed pi-hole on another raspberry pi to cut out ads at my home router so I never get popups or ads that way. Once you set them up that's it, it'll be a long time before I touch either device and I didn't have to root anything.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
You can but you have to go through installing "this" and "that"... Then a few months later they find a way to detect root anyway and your doing it all again a few weeks later when the workaround is done. And don't even update your OS because you have to do it all again.

I found my answer to rooting this week. I made a raspberry pi VPN so I always have an encrypted VPN to my home, and also installed pi-hole on another raspberry pi to cut out ads at my home router so I never get popups or ads that way. Once you set them up that's it, it'll be a long time before I touch either device and I didn't have to root anything.

that is one of the reasons I don't root anymore, the steps you have to get some features working, then the next update, whether it be the app or os, could break it.

it was bad enough getting netflix to work in firefox on a computer running linux os. (yes I know chrome is out of the box) but that is another story for another thread.