Android Now Running on Over 80% of All Smartphones Thanks to Growth in China

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sea-waves-android-surfing.jpg

If you had any doubt that Android dominates the mobile landscape, prepare to have that doubt vanish. According to a new report from Gartner, their Q3 smartphone numbers reveal a startling statistic. Due to explosive growth in China, Android now empowers 81.9% of all smartphones across the globe... that's 4/5ths in other terms. Here are some other interesting factoids from their assessment:

• Android adoption rose 9.3 percent over last year.
  • Apple smartphone sales dropped 2.2 percentage points over the year and now hold 12.1 percent of the smartphone market
  • Windows Phone gained and now holds 3.6 percent of the market
  • Lenovo actually leapfrogged LG to grab the number three spot in the world
  • China accounted for 41 percent of all Android sales in the last quarter... this is an increase of seven percent from a year ago
  • Samsung accounted for almost 1/3rd of all smartphones sold globally
There is one thing to keep in mind about this report. At the time of this report, which ended in Q3, very little of Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C sales were accounted for in this report. The Q4 report should show a difference in numbers, although ultimately, it won't topple the Android King. It will simply skew some of these figures, and slightly diminish the size of the Android Tsunami.

Source: Gartner

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
There is one thing to keep in mind about this report. At the time of this report, which ended in Q3, very little of Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C sales were accounted for in this report. The Q4 report should show a difference in numbers, although ultimately, it won't topple the Android King. It will simply skew some of these figures, and slightly diminish the size of the Android Tsunami.

It may not grow the number much either as the phone will most likely be mostly replacements.

That being said, its a great thing to see IMO though with such a dominance, lawsuits will surely start coming harder and the term monopoly get used even more.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's amazing. I remember when people were saying Apple going to VZW could crush Android, LOL.

But I never thought Android could get to 80% share with Apple and others out there. WinMo continues to be a somewhat surprising disappointment. But as the hardware gets more powerful, MS might be able to leverage that massive PC-base to make significant gains. In 12-18 months, phones could be where most higher-end ultrabooks are today, which could be a huge opportunity for MS (just attach keyboard and monitor).

TatDroid

Reaction score
While I agree Android is crushing the competition, I'm not sure your subject line on this thread is correct, dgstorm. As I read the report, 81% of all smartphones sold in the 3rd quarter were running Android. However, that doesn't mean that Android represents 81% of all smartphones currently being used. With each successive quarter of Android domination I'm sure the overall market share of Android continues to grow, but I'm sure it's somewhat lower than the current sales level.