Android N Still Doesn't Have a Name, but it Has Several Improvements

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-n-with-classic-droid-figurine.jpg

It looks like Google is having a hard time settling on a name for Android N. Despite that hiccup, actual development is moving along rapidly. Here's a highlight of just a few of the deep improvements in Android N:
  • Performance improvements from the new graphics API called Vulcan - lower GPU overhead - software’s JIT compiler will make apps install 75% faster and the code size is reduced by 50%.
  • Improved security - includes file-based encryption, media-hardening framework and seamless updates (this means system images will download automatically without a dialog notification (should you leave that option on).
  • The apps carousel has been overhauled - recent apps beyond the last seven you used will be added to a list.
  • A ‘Clear All’ button
  • Split screen mode coming to both Android phones and tablets
  • A long tap on the square button lets Android N users open two screens at a time
  • A Picture-in-Picture for Android TV.
  • Direct replies will let users respond to notifications, and they won't even need to open the app
  • Unicode 9 emoji support - emoji that look much better
That's just a small smattering of the over 250 new features which will be added in Android N. The new OS from Google is already available to beta test, and will launch sometime this summer.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
  • A ‘Clear All’ button

This is the most relevant addition I can see from N, that matters to most users. Having to annoyingly swipe old stuff away is..well...annoying!

His name was Robert Paulson! :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
android-n-with-classic-droid-figurine.jpg

It looks like Google is having a hard time settling on a name for Android N. Despite that hiccup, actual development is moving along rapidly. Here's a highlight of just a few of the deep improvements in Android N:
  • Performance improvements from the new graphics API called Vulcan - lower GPU overhead - software’s JIT compiler will make apps install 75% faster and the code size is reduced by 50%.
  • Improved security - includes file-based encryption, media-hardening framework and seamless updates (this means system images will download automatically without a dialog notification (should you leave that option on).
  • The apps carousel has been overhauled - recent apps beyond the last seven you used will be added to a list.
  • A ‘Clear All’ button
  • Split screen mode coming to both Android phones and tablets
  • A long tap on the square button lets Android N users open two screens at a time
  • A Picture-in-Picture for Android TV.
  • Direct replies will let users respond to notifications, and they won't even need to open the app
  • Unicode 9 emoji support - emoji that look much better
That's just a small smattering of the over 250 new features which will be added in Android N. The new OS from Google is already available to beta test, and will launch sometime this summer.
This is exciting. I know that a lot of the so-called features are available in one form or another as apps but to have them baked into the system just makes things so much smoother. I can't wait for this update.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just sideloaded the latest preview on my Nexus 6. So far this feels like a daily driver. This phone feels so much smoother.

I voted for Nutella by the way, how about you guys.
I highly doubt they are going nut butter despite how many votes they get for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
a0e8c1cea44770b2bd41e472dae27ae0.jpg

0369b57b2cde9edcaf34a7e713abaa97.jpg

47a1237b56ca5a959f89ac601beeac3b.jpg

Virtual keyboard, physical keyboard, themes, yeah I have some more digging to do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I voted for Nougat, simply because I thought for the longest time that Nutella was pronounced NUTella and not Newtella, which makes no sense to me. I was proven wrong when I finally went to YouTube to find the commercial.

I refuse to support a name that's mispronounced. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I voted for Nougat, simply because I thought for the longest time that Nutella was pronounced NUTella and not Newtella, which makes no sense to me. I was proven wrong when I finally went to YouTube to find the commercial.

I refuse to support a name that's mispronounced. :)
Yeah, I been calling it NUTella as well.

Problem with Nutella is it's a brand name so they would have to enter an agreement similar to kit kat. I'm sure the makers of Nutella would take all the advertisement they can get.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

loadeddiapers

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xiaomi Mi4i
This is the most relevant addition I can see from N, that matters to most users. Having to annoyingly swipe old stuff away is..well...annoying!

His name was Robert Paulson! :D
I wonder why google took so long to add it to stock.
Other custom ROMs have this feature already for quite some time.