Icon Long Press Actions Bring "3D Touch" To Android N

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google has already released a couple of preview builds of Android N to Nexus devices. The N update seems to be more of a small features and a performance update and less of a total overhaul update. One pretty cool feature that has been added in Android N is a feature which is very much reminiscent of 3D Touch on iOS.

The new feature launcher shortcuts brings quick info and actions to the app icons. Android N allows apps to define action-specific shortcuts which can be displayed in the launcher. Launcher shortcuts allow users to quickly start common or recommended tasks within your app. You can have up to five dynamic shortcuts. You can pin any of the dynamic shortcuts to the launcher by dragging and dropping them onto the screen. Head to the links below for more info on this cool new feature.

via Android N API Overview
Android N Preview Developer Docs

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
To me, it seems like Apple is usually playing catch-up with Google / Android when it comes to new features. In this case though, it seems like this is Google playing catch-up to the iPhone 3D touch functionality. Looks cool to me, no matter who developed the idea first.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
They should fix the basics first, instead of adding new features--the camera on Marshmallow is horribly laggy on the Nexus 6. Seems like it gets worse with each monthly Marshmallow update.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
To me, it seems like Apple is usually playing catch-up with Google / Android when it comes to new features. In this case though, it seems like this is Google playing catch-up to the iPhone 3D touch functionality. Looks cool to me, no matter who developed the idea first.

I could swear I've read in these forums that this was an Android feature several years ago.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think this one was actually Apple first and Android is copying them. Could be wrong though?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm wondering how android would differentiate between long press and 3d touch. I can't quite see the difference between two.
I agree. To me, 3D touch is kind of a cool concept, but only because iPhone didn't have a long press. IMO, they should just expand on long press. It's the standard way to get more options in Android & I have a strong feeling that it's going to be annoying trying to do 3D touch & accidentally only long pressing & vice versa.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk