Android N Includes Windows Style Multitasking

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Android N apparently includes a nifty feature that will allow you to take your multitasking to the next level. Some devices like Samsung devices have split screen built in, but no one has really been able to lock down real multitasking via a windows style User Interface.

Hidden within Android N is the Window mode. You can resize and drag and drop apps just like on a desktop. Once enabled the recents app displays an icon in the upper right hand corner which will give you the ability to pull an exact app into window view mode. Head to the link below for more details.

via Arstechnica

Reactions: CJM

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Palm had the best multitasking feature back on the Palm Pre and Pre + with WebOS (2010). Everything else has felt like a step backwards since then. Boat Browser has had "Floating Boat" for a few years now which is a great feature; it has its limitations though. It is exciting to see Google FINALLY bringing real multitasking into the Android.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yet another feature that would've served the Pixel C well to launch with instead of getting later.

I will say this, though this is beta, they've taken an interesting turn with this feature so far. From what I've seen, the windowed apps open up in their own kind of workspace, not on top of the home screen or on top of other apps. One place where something like Samsung's windowed apps (where supported) have over this is the ability to open a window over a full screen app. Makes it handy for copying information from one place to another or verifying information from 2 sources, or any number of other things that you might do on more of a PC type of device.

It's early yet, and there's a workaround to even get this window mode enabled, so I'm hoping they're just getting started with it. The split screen worked very slick when I was trying out the first beta build of N, so I'm very hopeful for what the end product looks like here.