Android Keyboard Flipping Out

gundam743

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a used moto droid several months back. Immediately after gettting it, I rooted it and flashed Cyanogenmod. For the most part everything has been hunky-dory, but there is a problem that has been bugging the heck out of me.

Every once in a while, my software android keyboard will flip out (i don't use the physical one, thumbs too big). The only way i can explain it is every time I attempt to type a character, the keyboard will type several random letters for no reason. If I hold down a button, it will literally type all over the place and I'll end up with gibberish in the text. Sometimes it even hits the send button, which is always fun.

A few random notes: the keys that are typed randomly tend to be located near the button i tried to press, but not always. Also, if i'm really fast and lucky, i can sometimes get the keyboard to type only what i pressed, but this is rare. Don't even get me started on the back button. :angry:

The keyboard will stay like this for a while, and then suddenly it will be working again. I can't find anything that seems to trigger or halt this behavior. Could it be Cyanogenmod? I don't think so, but I'm not sure since I can't really find anyone else with this exact problem.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a used moto droid several months back. Immediately after gettting it, I rooted it and flashed Cyanogenmod. For the most part everything has been hunky-dory, but there is a problem that has been bugging the heck out of me.

Every once in a while, my software android keyboard will flip out (i don't use the physical one, thumbs too big). The only way i can explain it is every time I attempt to type a character, the keyboard will type several random letters for no reason. If I hold down a button, it will literally type all over the place and I'll end up with gibberish in the text. Sometimes it even hits the send button, which is always fun.

A few random notes: the keys that are typed randomly tend to be located near the button i tried to press, but not always. Also, if i'm really fast and lucky, i can sometimes get the keyboard to type only what i pressed, but this is rare. Don't even get me started on the back button. :angry:

The keyboard will stay like this for a while, and then suddenly it will be working again. I can't find anything that seems to trigger or halt this behavior. Could it be Cyanogenmod? I don't think so, but I'm not sure since I can't really find anyone else with this exact problem.

I'm finally starting to see other people post about the same thing mine has been doing for several months now...

It's the screen going south on them... generating bogus touch interrupts... the rightmost part of my screen no longer accepts touch inputs also... so when my droid is in the charging cradle, I cannot pull down the notification bar.

What really aggravates the problem is heat... whether it's generated from charging the battery, or using a CPU intensive app like Navigation or Maps, or even if I overclock it too high...

Most times, I can cool it off by sticking it in front of an A/C vent in my car, or in the fridge at home for a while... sometimes I have to just shut it off for a while.

I'm not going to spend any money on a repair, just holding on for the Bionic or something in a few weeks.

OP
G

gundam743

Reaction score
Ah, that would make sense: I have my droid overclocked to 800mhz (using the ONDEMAND setting in cyanogen), plus the temperature here has been ridiculous so I'm sure that hasn't helped.

I will have to pay pay attention to the temp next time it acts up, and see if the ac or fridge trick helps. Thanks!