Android in the News - Week in Review 4-24-15 [Contest Video]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

We have a very special Android in the News - Week in Review for Friday, the 24th of April!

Just as we posted earlier, this week is our special video contest in which you get a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card! Here's a recap of the details for this giveaway:
  1. Watch this week's Android in the News - Week in Review (April 24, 2015) video news brief on Friday, April 24, 2015 (that's today).
  2. Comment in the video's thread (this thread) after you watch it and tell us about something specifically in the video that you liked, or agreed with, or disagreed with.
  3. In your contest entry post, make sure that you include the phrase: "Video Contest Entry", (bolded just like that). That way, you can still continue to discuss and make more comments in the thread without accidentally putting in a duplicate entry.
  4. The entries will be tallied at Noon on Thursday of next week, and the winning entry will be announced in next week's video.
As you can see it's easy to enter! On top of that, it's a perfect week to have this contest because our video for this week was packed full of awesome comedy gold! We had several great topics to touch on, including Verizon, two drunken idiots and much more! Be sure to hit up these threads if you haven't already, or just add more to the discussion if you have:
Thanks for watching and good luck with the contest!

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll start.

Video Contest Entry

I'll completely disagree with anyone that says that Verizon's "snobbery" is not merited. Getting 4G data while in a treestand is amazing. No other carrier could ever match that. DG's argument that in certain spots Sprint and others have just as good of service falls flat when you realize that humans are mobile creatures. I had Sprint years ago. I got great coverage when I stood in one spot and didn't move. That was a lot of fun..................

So for me I will gladly pay a few bucks more a month for better coverage. My biggest pet peeve, as stated multiple times, is carrier subsidized phones. Its dumb. We would all pay less a month if everyone would buy their phones outright.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'll go next.

Video Contest Entry

I completely agree that VZW snobbery is not merited. The other carriers get stronger every day. I had Spint 7 years ago and used to roam at my (old) house. Today? Sprint is better at my old house then VZW is today. That house was close to Lake Erie. I get not wanting to spend a lot of money to cover Lake Erie...but hey, you could at least go a few miles into the lake. Boaters have phones, too. (Today, all the major carriers do have signal about a mile out in the lake, T-Mobile being about the shortest range from what I've heard).
I get real tired of hearing how GREAT VZW coverage is. I smirk any time I hear it.
So I moved to a new house. Let's look at the US Coverage map:
USA.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic, right? Ohio is almost completely covered!!! I live in Cleveland... y'know the 45th largest city in the US and the 10th city that got VZW LTE when it first rolled out? The 31st largest MSA...
So I get my first Verizon phone and my phone struggles to keep 4G at my house. It switches between 1 bar of 4G and 1 bar of 3G. So I call Verizon;
"Yea, coverage sucks at my house"
"O sorry, you can buy an extender! For $250"
Seriously?
So I get my new phone and call Verizon again;
"Coverage still sucks at my house"
I finally get a rep who knows what she is talking about.
"O sorry, sir. Looking closer it looks like you are on the edge of our extended coverage."
Hmmm, let's take a closer look:

Home.jpg

(This is not exactly where I live obviously but it's close and is a good representation.)
So even though I am FULLY in a red area, I am so close to the extended area that my coverage sucks.
Now...let's look at Sprint in that same area:
Sprint.jpg

Which one looks better to you? Now, there IS a park there towards the left, a big one, and it's in a deep valley (around the river). I don't expect coverage to be great there...but to plan your network to intentionally have it fade as you get closer to the park? My signal literally starts dropping, and fast, as I roll down my street towards that park.

I rest my case.
Hope this isn't TOO big a post for my contest entry. lol
First video I've ever watched. I like it but what I'd really like is to see DG and CK a little and not as much of the stock photos and forum shots. Come on fellas, let's see YOU! :D

Last edited:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Video Contest Entry

Verizon snubbing: Spot on. I have just one thing to say: It's what you do with the extra money that matters. Some people are sheepish, but people will go to those who use their money wisely. Love that this discussion is even happening cause it builds consumer interest and brings competition.

Two Roommates: That is a nice graphic! No one ever really wins in Fanboy arguments. Not just phones, but anything for that matter.

Google Archive: This reminds me of Facebook that brings 'memories' to what you may have Googled. In 2007, a lot of programming articles...a lot!

Project FI: They are putting pressure. i just love how all the news outlets and tech bloggers are already hating saying Republic Wireless was here first. I got a question for you: who's your carrier again? That's what I thought.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to put that this was an entry. SHAME!

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm just proud of myself for having something to say worth a shout out in the video again. Haha!

For real though. Great video and very interesting discussions this week.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'll go next.

I completely agree that VZW snobbery is not merited. The other carriers get stronger every day. I had Spint 7 years ago and used to roam at my (old) house. Today? Sprint is better at my old house then VZW is today. That house was close to Lake Erie. I get not wanting to spend a lot of money to cover Lake Erie...but hey, you could at least go a few miles into the lake. Boaters have phones, too. (Today, all the major carriers do have signal about a mile out in the lake, T-Mobile being about the shortest range from what I've heard).
I get real tired of hearing how GREAT VZW coverage is. I smirk any time I hear it.
So I moved to a new house. Let's look at the US Coverage map:
View attachment 74730

Wow, that looks fantastic, right? Ohio is almost completely covered!!! I live in Cleveland... y'know the 45th largest city in the US and the 10th city that got VZW LTE when it first rolled out? The 31st largest MSA...
So I get my first Verizon phone and my phone struggles to keep 4G at my house. It switches between 1 bar of 4G and 1 bar of 3G. So I call Verizon;
"Yea, coverage sucks at my house"
"O sorry, you can buy an extender! For $250"
Seriously?
So I get my new phone and call Verizon again;
"Coverage still sucks at my house"
I finally get a rep who knows what she is talking about.
"O sorry, sir. Looking closer it looks like you are on the edge of our extended coverage."
Hmmm, let's take a closer look:

View attachment 74731
(This is not exactly where I live obviously but it's close and is a good representation.)
So even though I am FULLY in a red area, I am so close to the extended area that my coverage sucks.
Now...let's look at Sprint in that same area:
View attachment 74732
Which one looks better to you? Now, there IS a park there towards the left, a big one, and it's in a deep valley (around the river). I don't expect coverage to be great there...but to plan your network to intentionally have it fade as you get closer to the park? My signal literally starts dropping, and fast, as I roll down my street towards that park.

I rest my case.
Hope this isn't TOO big a post for my contest entry. lol
First video I've ever watched. I like it but what I'd really like is to see DG and CK a little and not as much of the stock photos and forum shots. Come on fellas, let's see YOU! :D

I've run across this a lot and have often said that their map is grossly misleading. Stray too far away from an interstate or a majorly populated area and their map crumbles. I'm still not sure how they can legally get away with this.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Great job guys

Good luck everyone....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Video Contest Entry

There were a few points mentioned during the Verizon snubbing segment that stuck out for me and I agree with things both guys said. I agree with @dgstorm when he said that Verizon needs to pay attention to what is happening or they may lose their #1 spot. I also agree with @cereal killer, I too would love to spend less money on my phone bill each month. But I need good coverage all over the country. I have traveled a lot since 2001 and have always had excellent coverage with Verizon every where I have been.

And the picture posted during the Two Roommates segment was awesome! Brought back memories of some of the dumb stuff I did when I was much younger.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Video Contest Entry

As for what the Verizon's chief financial officer said, I personally don't mind that. I'm not saying that I agree with him, but if it bites Verizon in the rear for that, that might be good for us all. At least we are not having everyone saying that big red is still the only option. If more and more people switch to different carriers and still have similar, if not better, experience and save money in the process, great! If this causes backlash to Verizon causing them to maybe offer better plans and/or lower prices due to losing more customers, even better! At the end, all of us benefit whether or not you choose to stay or leave Verizon. At least a revolution is catalyzed from within Verizon itself :p. As for the fellas in the video, both gentlemen are right. DG is right that other carriers are at least on par now with Verizon and that is certainly right. But cerealkiller (always loved the username btw :/ ) is also correct saying that Verizon is better when traveling around the country. My take in that subject is that at the end of the day, do what is best for you. Not all people can afford or simply don't travel enough. If you know your needs and leaving or staying with Verizon fulfills your needs, then awesome! At least you're getting whatever you need within your established parameters.

In the subject of those two guys stabbing each other, hilarious! Hey, i'm not saying that causing injuries to someone is good, but come on! I still dont get the logic behind pushing your preference people simply because you dont agree with what they have. Do you really need to show off or criticize someone or something because you know more knowledge about the subject? It's a lot better if everybody can just have an open mind. If you want to give your thoughts about it, do it in respective manner. As long as they can afford it and be happy with it, so be it. Those guys should have din3 drop tests instead of stabbing each other instead. At least before they hurt each other, they both know they're both losing anyway for trying to show off.

Last edited:

MarkS1110

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Video Contest Entry

The fact Verizon said go ahead and switch if you want bad coverage is terrible. With Google getting in the mix and having cheaper plans will force Verizon to drop rates

IN AWE

Reaction score
Video Contest Entry

On the Verizon snub front, if I didn't get a $20 discount on data x3 from Verizon, I would tell them to pound sand. None of the other carriers can match their price with unlimited data. So I guess I will stay with big red.

Which kinda segues to my next comment. I am looking forward to trying or at least hearing about the Google Fi. I would love to build up a Project Ara phone loaded to the hilt and run it on Google Fi to see how it works out. Maybe I could finally cut the big red string once and for all.