Android GPS software for my laptop?

dfpierce0311

Reaction score
I'm a Deputy Sheriff in South Georgia and use a Garmin Nuvi for seeing what intersections I'm approaching when heading to calls. I've been searching for someway to tether my Droid to my laptop and have the GPS functionality of my Droid display my position on some type of mapping software on my laptop. In a perfect world I could type an address on the laptop and it would show me the shortest route to said address.

I know it's too much to ask for something like this to be available now. And much WAY too much to ask that it be free. Any advice?

-Frank

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, wow, i take it your county is cheap on it deputies. All the deputies here have PC's with integrated gps that has better software than our phones...same for firetrucks.
My suggestion would be to tether the laptop and use your phones net connection to use maps...but then it wouldnt be turn by turn..

***You might be able to do an SDK and have droids screen on PC but i can personally vouch that their is like a 5 sec lag.
*I cant seem to find much for this, I can say the moto portal is probably the most your going to get out of a pc-droid connection. You could probably buy a really big Tomtom or something but i dont think your going to get it to run through a laptop. Hopefully your Sheriffs department will get a tad more money and can invest in some proper gps to pc units. My dad toughbook is awesome, but its like 5 grand and i dout that includes the gps.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Try Google Latitude. I have it on my pc and phone. My family can see where I'm at when my gps is on. I also have the google chrome browser. No need to tether. Its pretty straight forward. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Swyped from Droid Forums App

dssdevl

Reaction score
That's an idea I wouldn't have thought of CJM, but if I remember right, Latitude only updates every few minute and is not real time.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
@dssdevl-Probably. I never gave anyone my phone long enough to try that.

@Frank-if some other officers have a pc and a iphone or black berry (or Droid of course) this will work for them, too. Y'all can even see each others position.