Android fragmentation hasn't improved... it may be worse

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
android_adoption_october_2017.png

Undeniably, one thing that Apple & iOS has over Google & Android is... yep, you know what it is: fragmentation. 2 weeks after iOS11 rolled out, nearly 40% of iPhones had it. We know simple logistics is the reason here. When you only have (basically) ONE phone from ONE manufacturer to support, it isn't hard to hit high adoption numbers quickly. Google has been trying for years to make it quicker and easier to get updates to many phones and according to Google's own numbers... it doesn't seem to be any better today than it was 4 years ago. In fact... It may be worse.

Nougat, which was released a year ago this month is still under a paltry 16% adoption rate. Oreo is not even at 1% after almost a month. Gingerbread, yes, Gingerbread has 3 times more market share then Oreo does! Is there any hope for these numbers to improve? Will GB ever die?

Source: Venture Beat

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Fragmentation will never change with Android, and really shouldn't even be considered an issue. There are way too many different manufacturers doing their won thing and running their own custom themed version of Android. Just go to any phone store and open the main Settings menu on a LG, Samsung, HTC, Moto and Pixel phone and look at the differences. The only way ending Android fragmentation could maybe be possible (emphasis on maybe) is for Google to demand that all manufacturers run stock Android and make their special / unique functionality an app that can be updated from the Play Store and not baked I to their own version of Android.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How many of those devices are old phones that people gave to their kids to play with or use? With the software that OEMs put on top of android also kind of negates the effects of fragmentation.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Fragmentation will never change with Android, and really shouldn't even be considered an issue.

It's an issue and will be as long as we continue to see post after post after post all over the internet: "When is my phone going to get *new OS*?". Of course, then followed inevitably by: "I hate Moto/LG/HTC/Samsung because they are too slow with updates! I'm getting a Pixel next!" LOL (And they don't).
Isn't Oreo only available on Pixel right this minute? So wouldn't this tell us what Pixel's market share is?
Also agree Johnomaz, all those GB devices are probably old hand me downs. At least .5% of the .6%.

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
most users don't even give fragmentation a second thought, and a good portion never heard of it. so when am I getting the oreo update so I can gripe with everyone else :)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apple only owns 10% smartphone market share and Android the other 90%. This isn't really an issue.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
most users don't even give fragmentation a second thought, and a good portion never heard of it. so when am I getting the oreo update so I can gripe with everyone else :)

Bah... I'm still on Nougat. CURSE YOU MOTO! Hahahaha ;)

JandN2639

Reaction score
There are also other devices than phones that run a version of Android. One example is Amazon’s Kindle tablets. Unless they also are forced to use the standard Android OS, there is no way to resolve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There are also other devices than phones that run a version of Android. One example is Amazon’s Kindle tablets. Unless they also are forced to use the standard Android OS, there is no way to resolve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true. But...I don't believe those Kindle devices are included in the stats about how many devices are running each version of Android.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Who would we ask?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I wouldn't care if I was still on lollipop.

Besides, seems like every new version of Android seems to break or block my favorite hacks.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Jelly Bean was the last Must Have update I wanted bad. Had an app that requires it to run and it added Google Now. Wanted M on my T2, wasn't must have but did get it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Isn't Oreo only available on Pixel right this minute? So wouldn't this tell us what Pixel's market share is?

I do have Oreo on the 6P and is 1 reason I'm considering a Pixel XL, but that Note8.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I had Oreo when I was using my Pixel XL, but then I upgraded to the Note 8 and back to N. I do miss a few things from Oreo but I can wait.