Android Dominates as Q1 Marketshare Rises to 35%

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
People take these topics way too seriously. Why does it always have to be an Android vs. Apple debate? Who cares? Can't people just comment on the post like "Hey good job Android!" Instead of "Apple sales are higher and Android sucks," or "Android is going to dominate because the iOS sucks." WHO CARES!! God guys, let's start acting our ages please? Good job to Google on the sales! Hopefully the numbers keep rising with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich. Have a nice day gentlemen! dancedroid

Agreed, however you'll find threads like these always go this way because the hardcore android lovers always have to bring up apple.

If you talk about something that much, clearly you feel threatened by it, no matter how much you downplay it....

Well its not just Android users, iPhone users do it too. I've seen it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I'm sure they do, and that's just as dumb.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea it was nice to post about the marketshare when Android was dragging the bottom and some forum folks predicted it wasnt gonna go anywhere; then to have it rise to where it is now was a nice told you so moment. But to me, its getting to be old news now.

Post some stats where Android is dropping, then it will get my attention again. The article where Android dropped a lil is interesting news. It shows the impact of the iPhone on Verizon. Probably the impact of offering the older iPhone models at cheaper prices, with evidence of the 3GS outselling newer Android phones.

It also shows it wasnt as big of an impact as some ppl thought it would be too. It kinda surprised me cuz I thought it was gonna be a bigger impact at this time. It will be interesting to see what happens when the iPhone 5 comes out and what features it has/doesnt have.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea it was nice to post about the marketshare when Android was dragging the bottom and some forum folks predicted it wasnt gonna go anywhere; then to have it rise to where it is now was a nice told you so moment. But to me, its getting to be old news now.

Post some stats where Android is dropping, then it will get my attention again. The article where Android dropped a lil is interesting news. It shows the impact of the iPhone on Verizon. Probably the impact of offering the older iPhone models at cheaper prices, with evidence of the 3GS outselling newer Android phones.

It also shows it wasnt as big of an impact as some ppl thought it would be too. It kinda surprised me cuz I thought it was gonna be a bigger impact at this time. It will be interesting to see what happens when the iPhone 5 comes out and what features it has/doesnt have.

that's what i'm saying. market share is not the same thing as revenue. boasting about market share is akin to boasting that the android market will eventually have more apps then the app store. i mean, sure it sounds great, but does it mean much? not really.

android lost its share for the first time in two years last quarter and that's because of the iphone. that's a trend that people should be following...just because it didn't lose 80% of its share in one quarter doesnt mean the iphone was a fail or had no impact. i think people's expectations for the iphone are a little ridiculous...i mean people are saying there was no pent up demand when it (one device) sold 2 million+ in less than one quarter for vzw...really?

when the iphone 5 comes out we'll see android's share drop more, and apples revenue and profit continue to increase. i mean...it's simple math. this doesn't mean that by this time next year android is going to be forgotten and go the way of RIM...people need to stop with the dramatics.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Where do you find this stat that android lost share? You keep saying that but it goes against EVERY article I have seen. Please show me as I must have missed it. Also I was only talking market share since that is what the OP was about... so usually I try to stay on topic.

I think apple make tons of money and are not hurting at all and should stay that way for some time to come. However, according to some annalists Nokia will dominate Apple in the coming years with WP7. DO I believe that? no, but some do...

What Apple would have to be a bit concerned about is that android will be running in everything from phones, cars, tvs and even refrigerators... That saturation will make it much more likely that people will stay in their ecosystem. So far it's just phones and tablets apple and android are competing in (apple tv and google tv aside as both are pretty anemic at this point). If a vast majority of Consumer electronic devices start running android then sorry but that doesn't bode well for apple long term regardless of their current success. That is unless IOS is licensed out which would go against everything apple has ever done so that is very doubtful.

Anyway it's all conjecture because as we have seen things can change drastically in just a few short years so I just look forward to all the cool new stuff I get to buy... lol

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What Apple would have to be a bit concerned about is that android will be running in everything from phones, cars, tvs and even refrigerators... That saturation will make it much more likely that people will stay in their ecosystem.

Yea the ecosystem. Seeing the things Google wants to do from this years I/O, this is a good point.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple google search:

Apple's iPhone market share rises on Verizon sales; Android share drops | Technology | Los Angeles Times

ios gains 9 percentage points, android loses 3 (the first loss in two years).

The thing that I don't understand is how/why people can still state there was no demand for the iphone on Verizon. Seriously, what is the cutoff point at which people will admit there is demand lol....for some reason unknown to me, people wont give credit to apple unless it destroys android completely or something...and to be sure, i've never once said that apple was going to decimate android and make it a thing of the past, but again...people insist that there is no demand simply because of market share?...pretty weird.

again this is one device on verizon selling two million units in less than a quarter...but...there's no demand, huh?

it's great that android has the marketshare lead, but that's not some shocking surprising news. the market is flooded with new android devices monthly, those devices can be had for cheap or free, and those devices are probably on every carrier in america from the large ones to the small crappy ones and there's tons of BOGO deals with android phones. it's not some huge accomplishment to have 35% market share in that situation...what's more remarkable is that ios is even still in the running with that much android saturation...

Josefius

Reaction score
Simple google search:

Apple's iPhone market share rises on Verizon sales; Android share drops | Technology | Los Angeles Times

The thing that I don't understand is how/why people can still state there was no demand for the iphone on Verizon. Seriously, what is the cutoff point at which people will admit there is demand lol....for some reason unknown to me, people wont give credit to apple unless it destroys android completely or something...and to be sure, i've never once said that apple was going to decimate android and make it a thing of the past, but again...people insist that there is no demand simply because of market share?...pretty weird.

again this is one device on verizon selling two million units in less than a quarter...but...there's no demand, huh?

it's great that android has the marketshare lead, but that's not some shocking surprising news. the market is flooded with new android devices monthly, those devices can be had for cheap or free, and those devices are probably on every carrier in america from the large ones to the small crappy ones and there's tons of BOGO deals with android phones. it's not some huge accomplishment to have 35% market share in that situation...what's more remarkable is that ios is even still in the running with that much android saturation...

That's all well and good, but my question is. Since you are such an Apple fan boy, and press the point home quite frequently, why aren't you rocking an iPhone and hanging out on Apple forums? Why do you feel the need to press us that use Android phones that Apple is so great? Just saying.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple google search:

That's all well and good, but my question is. Since you are such an Apple fan boy, and press the point home quite frequently, why aren't you rocking an iPhone and hanging out on Apple forums? Why do you feel the need to press us that use Android phones that Apple is so great? Just saying.

Awesome reply.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple google search:

I think one of the problems is the iPhone is built up on a pedestal by tech blogs, forums, users, etc. If it doesnt absolutely destroy Android it will be seen as a fail by some ppl. The iPhone was the cream of the crop for so long.

I think some ppl predicted that ppl were gonna be switching to the iPhone from Android in droves once it hit Verizon and that didnt really happen. Out of those 2 million sales it was switchers and new smartphone users. Probably switchers from Blackberry, the old Win Mo and Palm too.

I think there are probably still 2 million Droid 1 users out there. The Droid X and Incredible is in the top 5 of top selling smartphones so far. So far Android survived the big hit some folks predicted from the iPhone going to Verizon.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple google search:

I think one of the problems is the iPhone is built up on a pedestal by tech blogs, forums, users, etc. If it doesnt absolutely destroy Android it will be seen as a fail by some ppl. The iPhone was the cream of the crop for so long.

I think some ppl predicted that ppl were gonna be switching to the iPhone from Android in droves once it hit Verizon and that didnt really happen. Out of those 2 million sales it was switchers and new smartphone users. Probably switchers from Blackberry, the old Win Mo and Palm too.

I think there are probably still 2 million Droid 1 users out there. The Droid X and Incredible is in the top 5 of top selling smartphones so far. So far Android survived the big hit some folks predicted from the iPhone going to Verizon.

This is absolutely true. But I think your referring to that survey that said like 70% of android users would switch, right? I think that was a ridiculous over estimation. No chance that was gonna happen. But you're right iphone is put on a pedestal so its successes are probably viewed as failures to some but the numbers speak for themselves if you look at it from a unbiased non fanboy perspective (maybe too much to ask on this forum, I know).

And yes I have no doubt there are millions of droid 1 users out there, but that's two years worth of purchasing. Iphone sold two million on vzw in like 45 days. I give credit where credit is due (again, a lot to ask on this forum, I know).

Android is not going to get destroyed by ios, I never said that, although clearly people think I implied that which is laughable. What I did say and still say is this year will belong to apple when all the numbers are in and if I'm wrong so be it. I also said that android will plateau and it will, even though ppl seem to think its going to grow exponentially till the end of time. Its always going to be ios vs android, and neither one is going to be destroyed by the other. Market share is the least relevant metric given the circumstances, however the fact that android lost 3% share in a quarter when iphones exclusivity was lifted is not some fluke.

First it was "everyone who has one has one", then it was "lol @ the lack of lines", then it was "only two million in 45 days??? I thought there would be 30 million!", and now its "the three percent drop means you're an apple fanboy, go buy an iphone and post there"....k.

And everyone knows android is not catching up in revenue share to ios anytime soon which shows where developer interest lies. Stating the facts doesn't make me an apple fanboy, believe it or not.

Jschnee

Reaction score
Heres my take on this. The iphone may outsell single android devices because its the only.device on apples os . Add 500(exaggeration) iphonesque devices to the apple os and phone to phone sales may be a little more even. people have more choicTechnically the iphone reigns supreme but as an os goes android has got it imho. point in case I downloaded what would have cost me $200 in itunes, for free in my first days on android

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Jschnee

Reaction score
I hit suubmit before I was done., people have more choices when it comes to abdroid phones do no single device is gonna outsell the iphone. But in most communities the iphon

Jschnee

Reaction score
Did it again. The iphone its the curent trend and people want whats hot. For the more technocally inclined of us wr may opt for android for the customizability but most people want a great phone out the box and that is the iphone. Now after fuxin with my fascinate for a few weeks it kills an iphone but most people dont wamna do that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heres my take on this. The iphone may outsell single android devices because its the only.device on apples os . Add 500(exaggeration) iphonesque devices to the apple os and phone to phone sales may be a little more even. people have more choicTechnically the iphone reigns supreme but as an os goes android has got it imho. point in case I downloaded what would have cost me $200 in itunes, for free in my first days on android

Yeah definitely. If apple had forty iterations of its os on all carriers, one device wouldn't have as many sales. That's why I said market share means nothing. If you have 100 devices, on ten carriers you're going to own marketshare and you per device sales won't match iphone. That doesn't mean android sucks or iphone is the best PHONE EVAAA!!, it just means you have more of a product to push.

Your download example is an interesting one. While it benefits users, it screws the devs so the better quality apps go to iphone. Thankfully, google seems to be tackling the fragmentation head on but android has a looong way to go to match ios/itunes revenue (1 billion per quarter as opposed to per year).

Believe me, apple is not losing sleep over marketshare. They're winning when it comes to revenue by a landslide...market share is a glorified pissing contest. The sales records, yoy comparisons and margins speak for themselves. You've got 35% share with 11% revenue. And the devs don't seem to be too happy with the android market, at least in its current state...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And yes I have no doubt there are millions of droid 1 users out there, but that's two years worth of purchasing. Iphone sold two million on vzw in like 45 days. I give credit where credit is due (again, a lot to ask on this forum, I know).

I only mention there might be 2 million Droid 1 users cuz for the iPhone to launch on Verizon and destroy Android on Verizon like some ppl predicted, or for Android to take a big hit when it launched, with it selling 2 million all Droid 1 users woulda probably had to jump ship. Or alot from the Droid 1, 2, Pro, Fascinate, X, Ally and Incredible. ( I probably left out some more Android phones on Verizon) I think there are still a good amount of users for those Android phones. Especially the Droid 1, X and Incredible.

We will see what further impact the iPhone has when other ppl's contracts are up or available for upgrades. Seeing the initial impact, Apple shoulda been on more than 1 carrier and offered older models at big discounts. One of the things I didnt like about Apple is that they tied the iPhone to AT&T.