Android Dominates as Q1 Marketshare Rises to 35%

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-munchies.jpg

Market Research firm Canalys came out with their first quarter numbers on the global country-level smartphone market, and Android is solidifying its dominance with a rise to a 35% market share. Nokia slipped from 39% in 2010 to just 24% in Q1 of this year, while world-wide Apple shares grew to 19%. Here's a quote from the report,
Canalys today released its worldwide country-level smart phone market data for Q1 2011, revealing that Android led the market for the second quarter running, and, with 35.7 million units shipped, increased its share to 35%. At the same time, Canalys confirmed that Asia Pacific (APAC) became the largest smart phone market region, with year-on-year growth of 98% to 37.3 million units, putting it ahead of Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) for the first time since Q3 2007. On a country basis, mainland China, South Korea and India delivered strong volumes and registered triple-digit growth.
You can read the full report at the source link below. 'Andy's' phenomenal growth is starting to remind me of the Will Smith movie, "I, Robot". Pretty soon, we will have Androids in every corner of the globe. It's nice that these Androids are much friendlier and less destructive! Once again, Sci-Fi is becoming "just Sci", at least in some form.

Source: Android.net via BGR
Picture Source: SEInsider.com

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Seems kind of silly now the way everyone was panicking and predicting disaster when VZW got the IPhone, huh?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems kind of silly now the way everyone was panicking and predicting disaster when VZW got the IPhone, huh?

I think it's more silly that people downplay the iPhone. the 3GS outsells the new android devices quite handedly. When its 360 something devices to 3, you're going to own market share, obviously...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I think it's more silly that people downplay the iPhone. the 3GS outsells the new android devices quite handedly. When its 360 something devices to 3, you're going to own market share, obviously...

Haha, way to backtrack. The VZW IPhone had virtually 0 effect on Android. That huge "pent up demand" bumped IPhone share a half a percent.

And it works in reverse, too. When you have 5 quality phones on an OS none of them are going to outsell a single phone on another top OS. IPhone is hitting all the price points, it just doesn't cover the 3 major screen sizes.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Haha, way to backtrack. The VZW IPhone had virtually 0 effect on Android. That huge "pent up demand" bumped IPhone share a half a percent.

And it works in reverse, too. When you have 5 quality phones on an OS none of them are going to outsell a single phone on another top OS. IPhone is hitting all the price points, it just doesn't cover the 3 major screen sizes.

No backtrack at all. Android share dropped in the first quarter, iphone outsold every android phone combined in the US, and the 3gs outsells phones like the atrix. Your blind loyalty clouds reality.

Btw I believe it was you who stated the vzw iphone was a fail because of the lack of lines, yet they had a 113% increase in sales compared to last years first quarter and an 83% increase in revenue, with 50% of their revenue coming from the iphone only. But no, you're right, everyone who wanted an iphone already has one...lol...or not.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
No backtrack at all. Android share dropped in the first quarter, iphone outsold every android phone combined in the US, and the 3gs outsells phones like the atrix. Your blind loyalty clouds reality.

Btw I believe it was you who stated the vzw iphone was a fail because of the lack of lines, yet they had a 113% increase in sales compared to last years first quarter and an 83% increase in revenue, with 50% of their revenue coming from the iphone only. But no, you're right, everyone who wanted an iphone already has one...lol...or not.

Umm I don't know where you get your info but it is incorrect. Iphone didn't outsell all android phones together it didn't even come close.
Canalys estimates that of the total 101 million smartphones shipped during Q1 2011, 37.3 million were Android handsets. That compares with 18.65 million iPhone shipments during the same period.

that is 2 to one android over iphone so how do you get your figures?

The 3gs outsold any individual android phone that is true but big deal that is a hollow victory in a war that has been lost. Those that hang on to threads of hope that apple has any chance of outselling android are simply delusional...

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
That all said I think the iphone is far from a fail and it's a huge money maker and will continue to be so but it will never be a market leader as far as OS market share goes but it doesn't need to be for apple to keep rolling in dough...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Umm I don't know where you get your info but it is incorrect. Iphone didn't outsell all android phones together it didn't even come close.
Canalys estimates that of the total 101 million smartphones shipped during Q1 2011, 37.3 million were Android handsets. That compares with 18.65 million iPhone shipments during the same period.

that is 2 to one android over iphone so how do you get your figures?

The 3gs outsold any individual android phone that is true but big deal that is a hollow victory in a war that has been lost. Those that hang on to threads of hope that apple has any chance of outselling android are simply delusional...

I apologize. My figures on the total were wrong. My others were not so the "ummm your figures are wrong" statement might have been a little "oooh lemme jump on this to prove he's wrong" lol.

Second, how is an almost two year old phone outselling a less than six month old phone a hollow victory?? I swear you guys think iphone has to sell 100 million a quarter in order to get some credit....and even then ppl won't. This is one device selling half of what 100 plus devices did combined. I think yelling "market share, market share!" in a saturated android market is the hollow victory. Anyone who is suggesting there wasnt pent up demand for the iphone is delusional.

And to your last point. Yes...apple is rolling in dough. With 96 or something % profit increase over last year, somehow I doubt they're losing sleep over the fact that hundreds of devices combined are outselling them just 2:1...just a hunch.

It's funny that ppl are suggesting that androids share is so high only because it's "zomggg the best os ever!" And not also because you can get them at cheap prices on every carrier in hundreds of devices. But iphone breaks every sales record known to man....every year...and that must be because steve jobs runs a cult. ignorance truly is bliss....

Ppl continue to buy two year old iphones in the MILLIONS. Call me crazy but I think that means ppl want the iphone...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh and another crazy stat. Androids share drops for the first time in two years this past quarter. Most probably not due to the iphone though right? Probably something more "logical" like "everyone who wants an android already has one", right? Oh wait...that's a dumb statement...

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
People take these topics way too seriously. Why does it always have to be an Android vs. Apple debate? Who cares? Can't people just comment on the post like "Hey good job Android!" Instead of "Apple sales are higher and Android sucks," or "Android is going to dominate because the iOS sucks." WHO CARES!! God guys, let's start acting our ages please? Good job to Google on the sales! Hopefully the numbers keep rising with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich. Have a nice day gentlemen! dancedroid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
People take these topics way too seriously. Why does it always have to be an Android vs. Apple debate? Who cares? Can't people just comment on the post like "Hey good job Android!" Instead of "Apple sales are higher and Android sucks," or "Android is going to dominate because the iOS sucks." WHO CARES!! God guys, let's start acting our ages please? Good job to Google on the sales! Hopefully the numbers keep rising with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich. Have a nice day gentlemen! dancedroid

Agreed, however you'll find threads like these always go this way because the hardcore android lovers always have to bring up apple.

If you talk about something that much, clearly you feel threatened by it, no matter how much you downplay it....

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09

Agreed, however you'll find threads like these always go this way because the hardcore android lovers always have to bring up apple.

If you talk about something that much, clearly you feel threatened by it, no matter how much you downplay it....

Well its not just Android users, iPhone users do it too. I've seen it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums