Android Developers Release Chart Showing More than 50% of Android Phones Have Froyo

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android_update_chart.png

Here's an informative pie chart from the Android Developers' Blog. It details the amount of Android smartphones with each version of 'Andy's' OS. From the chart we see that now over 50% of Android phones have Froyo. Here's a breakdown of the actual numbers from the chart:
  • Android 1.5 = 4.7%
  • Android 1.6 = 7.9%
  • Android 2.1 = 35.2%
  • Android 2.2 = 51.8%
  • Android 2.3 = 0.4%
It'll be interesting to see what this looks like this same time next year. Will Gingerbread take the place of Froyo on that chart. Let's hope so. How many of you guys have a phone with Froyo?

Source: Android Developers

crackedvenom

Reaction score
Yep, had it before it officially came out thanks to rooting :) OG Droid here.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is absolutely pathetic that only 51% have Froyo when it's been out (officially) for a good 4-5 months.

And 12%+ of phones to not even have 2.1 is ridiculous. Forced obsolescence, but it's almost criminal that a phone can run the newer OS but no one will support the update.

IMO that goes hand-in-hand with the fragmentation argument, but Google really needs to step-up here and force the hand of the carriers/mfrs. Google needs to take ownership of pushing updates (but with all the mfr UI's out there, maybe that's part of the problem).

Plus you've got tablets in the game now and all this becomes a bigger issue as phones become 3 (or 4 or 5 or whatever) in 1 devices. Google has to realize that if, for one reason or another, the updates aren't being pushed that's a big negative for buyers.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Ever since I put Froyo on my Droid 1 I've noticed more lag in the UI. I recently upgraded to Froyo build 2.2.1 but the lag is still there and even worse sometimes the launcher hangs. The home icons and widgets take 20 to 60 seconds to reappear and the phone doesn't respond to touches on the screen or the buttons. Eventually when I click the app drawer button it will pull up only to show nothing but a black background with no apps. A few minutes later it's back to its normal responsiveness. I don't know why it does this but it's really getting on my nerves. I've tried several ROMs and kernels but I still have the same issues. I've tried a few task managers but they only seem to make it worse. I hope gingerbread is better. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior on the Droid 1 or another phone running Froyo?

Reaction score
Ever since I put Froyo on my Droid 1 I've noticed more lag in the UI. I recently upgraded to Froyo build 2.2.1 but the lag is still there and even worse sometimes the launcher hangs. The home icons and widgets take 20 to 60 seconds to reappear and the phone doesn't respond to touches on the screen or the buttons. Eventually when I click the app drawer button it will pull up only to show nothing but a black background with no apps. A few minutes later it's back to its normal responsiveness. I don't know why it does this but it's really getting on my nerves. I've tried several ROMs and kernels but I still have the same issues. I've tried a few task managers but they only seem to make it worse. I hope gingerbread is better. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior on the Droid 1 or another phone running Froyo?

Had the same issue and verizon replaced the phone didnt have that particular issue after that.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Unfortunately getting a replacement phone is not an option. I'm hoping that it's just one or a couple of the apps i have on my phone that are causing issues. I think I'm going to start uninstalling apps that I don't use that much and see if it helps.