Android computer OS

riguy156

Reaction score
is it possible and would you like the idea of a Android computer so instead of windows 7 android

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Yes.
Get a distro of Linux and your running what you phone is running.

A2Aegis

Reaction score
Yes, it is possible to run the Android OS on a desktop/laptop computer. But I wouldn't care to do that since I have a perfectly capable phone.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
is it possible
I guess it is from the first reply

would you like the idea of a Android computer so instead of windows 7

If I was getting a new computer then maybe. Although I'm interested in 10" tablets (and buying a separate keyboard) more now with newer and better devices. This is of course, when I need a new computer. Currently I have a netbook running XP. That's all I need so I don't need anything too powerful.

Yes I have my phone, but sometimes it's easier to do things on a computer (even at some websites) and a keyboard makes typing for me much faster and more accurate.

ETA: if I wanted a big, powerful desktop to do other things with, then it might not be too bad to have it run Android. If it could. And sync to my phone. For example, if I'm playing Angry Birds, then my score is there on my computer so I just pick up where I left off from my phone (after syncing of course).

Last edited:
OP
riguy156

riguy156

Reaction score
like the chrome book now comming out i want it

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the android port on PC isn't that great, at least not when I tried it...but then again, i tried it a looong time ago haha

cougar214

Reaction score
isn't google working on an actual computer os based on the android platform?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
isn't google working on an actual computer os based on the android platform?

Yep ChromeOS.

Also you can run vanilla android from your computer using the android SDK. It allows you to run an emulator. The emulator can even be rooted and use the market to a limited extent. However apps can easily be sideloaded through adb.
[How-To](UPDATED 11/1/10)Working Marketplace in 2.2 Emulator (no system.img)(ROOTED) - xda-developers
I tried to get a newer market version working for awhile but gave up on it.