Android Chipping Away Market-share from iPhone Fast!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
US_smartphone_OS_share_2010.jpg

The Nielsen Ratings are out for the 3 Top smartphone manufacturers in November, and they bode very well for Google's Android. Apple's iPhone on the other hand is barely inching forward with market movement, and the only market-share they gained was probably at the expense of RIM/Blackberry. In fact, things look pretty grim for 'ye olde Blackberry.' As you can see from the chart above, Android is now up to 25.8 percent of the market. That's a gain of 3.1 percent in just one month, from the 22.7 percent share it had in October! To put it in perspective, the iPhone only gained 0.7 percent in that same time frame, and the Blackberry lost 1.3 percent. Where Andy really shines is in the 'new adoption portion' of the market ratings. As you can see from the chart below, both Apple and RIM lost points in the race for new customers, whereas, Android gained a whopping 3.2 percent to finish at 40.8 percent compared to Apple's 26.9 percent and RIM's anemic 19.2 percent!

US_smartphone_OS_recent_purchases_2010.jpg

Obviously, this new year will be an interesting test for Android, because Verizon is soon to get the iPhone; however, whether that will actually slow Google's momentum, or barely register as a hiccup remains to be seen. There is a diverse and exciting variety of new Android tech coming soon too, and if 'Andy' can keep this current pace, he will have bested the Apple Juggernaut by the first quarter of this year.

Source: Gigaom via Mobileburn
by dgstorm

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious curb-stomp that Android is getting ready to dish out (inb4"bring it"sig), there seems to be no mention of the Windows Phone.

Is it that small of an OS?

GDP

Reaction score
It's not surprising since the iphone is just 1 phone (with a few generations) on 1 carrier while android has dozens of different models on every major carrier

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

DaWolf85

Reaction score
It's not surprising since the iphone is just 1 phone (with a few generations) on 1 carrier while android has dozens of different models on every major carrier

People want choices. Android gives it to them. People buy Android.
That's really what it is. If I could pick from even two models of iPhone, I might be more willing to buy it. If I could have it on any carrier, I might be willing to buy it. But instead, it's one phone on one ****ty network. And that really drags them down, pulls them away from people who were thinking of getting the iPhone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's really what it is. If I could pick from even two models of iPhone, I might be more willing to buy it. If I could have it on any carrier, I might be willing to buy it. But instead, it's one phone on one ****ty network. And that really drags them down, pulls them away from people who were thinking of getting the iPhone.

Yep. Apple screwed themselves with their AT&T exclusivity crap, but they'll rebound nicely once they come to VZW.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Yep. Apple screwed themselves with their AT&T exclusivity crap, but they'll rebound nicely once they come to VZW.

It's not just that, though, although that is a large part of it.
They also need more models, just like with the Mac family. See, if there had been an alternate iPhone to the 4, then its suckiness wouldn't have been as big a deal. However, since it's the only model you can buy, if you want an iPhone, you're stuck with a buggy piece of crap with alarms that don't go off and an antenna that only works if you have an iHand or a case to mar the beautiful product design.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

I agree, once iphone has vz, it will start climbing more...the question is will android be gaining more than iphone? i say yes...for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

Big Ry

Reaction score

That's both a positive and negative. One phone...yes, impressive, but look at it like this. Apple went out on a limb years ago by investing in japanese hardware to host there new iOS. And out paid off big time. The first iphone was way ahead of it's time and quite an incredible device. And yes, android has been around for a little, but it was virtually unheard of until verizon dumped millions into advertising the motorola droid. So apple had a huge head start on everyone. So by the time a real competitor entered the ring, apple had already captured so many people attentions. But most important to note is that creating one OS for only one device ONCE a year is retardedly easy. Google created an OS that works on dozens and dozens of devices and is frequently updated. And android is just as good if not better than ios, despite the difficulties of keeping it compatible with so many devices. That's incredibly difficult to do. And let's not forget about the new delicious honeycomb that's on it's way for our tablets :) google simply outperforms apple in this industry which is why they have so rapidly demolished a large portion of the apple market share.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

bL33d

Reaction score
I think apple will gain ALOT of momentum when they come to Verizon.
and I am glad they don't have a hundred different handsets that is one reason I like
The app store everything just works and works well because of the similar hardware specs.

Big Ry

Reaction score
and I am glad they don't have a hundred different handsets that is one reason I like
The app store everything just works and works well because of the similar hardware specs.

I can't think of a single app that doesn't "just work" on android. I haven't had any issues with any app I've ever downloaded.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

You're lucky. The constant "fixed force close for..." updates to every app pretty much confirms that the apps don't work as they're supposed to for everyone, though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's two factors here that are somewhat ignored depending on the spin of the article.

1) IPhone has mostly maintained share as the smartphone market has grown. However, it's also true many of its customers are upgrading annually (80% by some estimates). Now, some 16M US sales this year would represent about 12M in upgrades and 4M in new users.

2) Android, on the other hand, really took off in November of last year, so you've seen far fewer upgrades and most sales have been new smartphone users. I don't have total US numbers, but VZW sold some 9M Android phones, and that's probably like 8M new users.