Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
1nCrgUO.jpg

An update to Android Auto adds support for two Android handsets. The Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Samsung Galaxy S5 from AT&T, Sprint and Verizon are now supported by the app. Now, these handsets can enjoy hands-free phone calls, turn-by-turn navigation and messaging all from the safety of the dashboard on their car.

35 different car manufacturers support Android Auto and aftermarket car radios like the 2015 Pioneer NEX series. Android auto requires phones with Android 5.0 and above. AA allows you to use such third-party apps such as Skype, WhatsApp and Spotify while you are behind the wheel. For those of you totally hooked on the platform, the app allows you to continue with the Android experience during your daily commute to and from the office.

Android Auto on Google Play Store

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
The image I used in the OP is of my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX paired to my Sony Xperia Z3.

I really like Android Auto and it's simple to use and clean UI. I mainly use Google Maps, Spotify and TuneIn Radio on it and can't wait for more apps for it. Needs Pandora support pronto! :)

BenRx

Reaction score
Too bad this update doesn't fix the $#*%& battery problem.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
@wicked , did you do the installation yourself?

No sir. Too many wires for me to deal with. :D Had a shop install the unit along with brake bypass and steering wheel controls.

smadanek

Reaction score
But my brand new Honda HRX-EX-L only works with IPhone....grrrrrr.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would totally get a new double DIN with Android Auto if it didn't look so bad in my car as an aftermarket install. Taking out the OEM Navi and putting an aftermarket unit in there is too complicated and expensive to do so.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I would totally get a new double DIN with Android Auto if it didn't look so bad in my car as an aftermarket install. Taking out the OEM Navi and putting an aftermarket unit in there is too complicated and expensive to do so.
I kinda felt the same way at first but this Pioneer has so much more features than the factory head unit my car came with.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Had Android Auto installed in my 2015 Sonata. Pretty much the same as what is offered with the car..hands free calling and nav. It does link music to Google Play. Only thing that is a benefit is hands free texting. Other than that not much more to it.