Android 4.4 breaks sd card, how to avoid getting the update

deputc26

Reaction score
With the android 4.4 update the Note 3 will no longer be able to write to or edit the contents of the sd card.

Android 4.4 update for Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3, likely to cause microSD problems
(this has since been confirmed)

This is a deal breaker for me so I need to find a way to prevent this phone (VZW Note 3) from getting the update, I have heard of 1 or two methods that may work and I will update this thread with my results. Let me know if anyone out there has a confirmed solution.

NOVICE

Reaction score
Can't you avoid the update by simply refusing to download it.

Or am I missing sonething?

I have the Note 3 and have no intention of deliberately downloading KitKat if it screws with my SD card.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the android 4.4 update the Note 3 will no longer be able to write to or edit the contents of the sd card.

Android 4.4 update for Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3, likely to cause microSD problems

This is a deal breaker for me so I need to find a way to prevent this phone (VZW Note 3) from getting the update, I have heard of 1 or two methods that may work and I will update this thread with my results. Let me know if anyone out there has a confirmed solution.

Are you rooted? If so, disabled the OTA manager APK.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
^^this.

Also, if you do happen to accidentally download the update. Turn the phone off, boot into stock recovery and clear cache (that's where the update is stored before it is installed.)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
Not rooted, don't want to root (can you even root 4.3 on the note 3?)

LillieBennett

Reaction score

Nothing to panic about. Using the micro SD for continuous app storage will just slow down the phone as well as shorten the life of the SD card. The abundance of internal memory in newer phones allows the luxury of rethinking the use of the SD card. The speed difference between the two is ridiculous, even with the best SD card. So the SD card serves best for long term storage like music, movies, ebooks and backups.

SM-N900V DE

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Nothing to panic about. Using the micro SD for continuous app storage will just slow down the phone as well as shorten the life of the SD card. The abundance of internal memory in newer phones allows the luxury of rethinking the use of the SD card. The speed difference between the two is ridiculous, even with the best SD card. So the SD card serves best for long term storage like music, movies, ebooks and backups.

SM-N900V DE

I come from the Droid 1 days - I always heard how (at least back then) how the SD card was no different from internal memory. I guess it's different now? I've been an Apple User (yes I feel terrible) for the last 3 years and this is my first Android phone since then. First thing I did with my Note 3 was to jam all the apps I could to SD card. But since I have 23GB of internal memory free, I guess I don't need to do that. Is it really slower? I have a Sandisk Ultra 2 64gb in it now. Moving everything back to internal now :p

Edit: Had only 216MB on the SD card (mostly from Google+). Wonder if this'll help Google+ scrolling lag?
Edit2: Seems to help. But could just be me thinking it's faster.

Thanks for info!

Last edited:

recDNA

Reaction score

SM-N900V DE

I prefer to continue storing pictures, vids, and rerware backups on my sd card. This may force me to root. I find this disturbing because I don't trust the security of current root methods.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

ripper2860

Reaction score
I've already seen several applications receive an update to resolve the 4.4 SD card issue and likely more will come. Obviously there is a way to work around it and given a bit of time, most apps will update to address the issue. No cause for panic -- yet.

LillieBennett

Reaction score

LillieBennett

Reaction score

Not to worry chances are you will choose to buy a bigger/better SD before this wears out. It will be slow, first read/write errors then a format will fix for a time with slightly reduced storage. My og Droid and it's SD card are still in service.

Speed is easy to benchmark, just copy a movie from pc to phone once to internal and again to SD, if you have USB 3.0 it will really be noticeable.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

LillieBennett

Reaction score
I come from the Droid 1 days - I always heard how (at least back then) how the SD card was no different from internal memory. I guess it's different now? I've been an Apple User (yes I feel terrible) for the last 3 years and this is my first Android phone since then. First thing I did with my Note 3 was to jam all the apps I could to SD card. But since I have 23GB of internal memory free, I guess I don't need to do that. Is it really slower? I have a Sandisk Ultra 2 64gb in it now. Moving everything back to internal now :p

Edit: Had only 216MB on the SD card (mostly from Google+). Wonder if this'll help Google+ scrolling lag?
Edit2: Seems to help. But could just be me thinking it's faster.

Thanks for info!

Memory has come a long way.

LillieBennett

Reaction score
I prefer to continue storing pictures, vids, and rerware backups on my sd card. This may force me to root. I find this disturbing because I don't trust the security of current root methods.

I always root and have no security problems. The user always chooses which apps have access and how long. It's not like Windows, I like the free version of lookout and it hasn't found anything in 5 years. Use an encryption dB for your passwords. Besides, security is an illusion if you use browsers, email, messaging and especially any social media application. Same for privacy :)

recDNA

Reaction score
I worry about the hidden access rooting may give to the overseas developer of the root method. If credit card info is stolen and used months later how would anyone know who actually stole your ID?