Android 4.2 New Features: Plus Video of Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Android 4.2 at Google HQ

LostSoulArtheus

Reaction score
I still haven't even received my DROID updates for my impulse 4g by huawei. I can't figure out how to upgrade from 2.2 to anything higher. And ideas while I'm here?

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Even on iOS, there's fragmentation. Every phone gets "updated" but Apple leaves out features. Just because it gets updated, doesn't mean you'll get everything that the update entails.

I know a small part of that is due to the hardware not being powerful enough to support some of the newer features. Yet, it's also a marketing ploy as well--the old phone won't support it, but if we go spend another $400, we can get the latest/greatest hipster accessory and be cool again. That is how I feel manipulated by Android for that matter--OEMs and carriers hold back on new OS releases, dangling the carrot of a Galaxy S3 in front of our TBolt-owning noses...

I know some third party ROMs try to bring the new OS to older phones, but I'm thinking of my original Droid which is still in service. It runs great on Liquid Smooth Gingerbread, yet load up more than a couple of apps and it is sluggish, even pausing to respond when answering a phone call. There just isn't enough memory in that phone to run a newer OS as a daily driver. As old (relatively) as my TBolt is, at least it flies on Liquid Smooth Gingerbread (AOSP). I just wonder how it will do with ICS or JB when a reliable ROM comes out.