Android 2.2 and WEP problems

KyzylDroid

Reaction score
I've got one of the original Moto Droids and had been connecting to my home wireless network just fine until some recent Droid OS upgrade (2.2? 2.2.1?). Now I have connectivity problems. The symptom is generally that I get a timeout error on large downloads (like upgrading apps, or updating podcast files in Google Listen).

Comments elsewhere online indicate there are some known problems with WEP encryption, which is what I have to use at home. I have a pair of Netgear routers - one as a base and the other a repeater, in order to get the coverage I need in the house. In that configuration, the only encryptions the Netgear routers support are A) WEP or B) None. So I use WEP.

Folks online seem to dismiss this problem as unimportant, since "you shouldn't be using WEP these days anyway." But I'm stuck except for maybe upgrading the routers - but I have no other reason to do that.

So... HELP! Will there be a fix for this WEP problem?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wish I had a fix, but I'm gonna sound like a broken record and tell you to upgrade the router.

They're inexpensive and the newer ones offer much better range and signal strength. :)

OP
K

KyzylDroid

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I upgraded to the Netgears about a year ago, which I guess is a long technotime ago. :dry: My new laptop doesn't have any problem with WEP.

Do you know if a fix is being worked on?

Any recommendations for replacement routers to consider? I'm likely to continue to need a repeater, btw.

Thanks