And another thing... Navigation > Directions

Daywalker

Reaction score
If one more person shows me they have free navigation on their I-phone and it is the "where" app with a map with a line on it and I have to show them free spoken turn by turn with street view at the end showing me the building I want I am going to slap them.

YOU HAVE A MAP NOT NAVIGATION

Big Cam

Reaction score
They are trying to overcompensate.

Give them a break, jealousy is flatery or some crap.

countryboy498

Reaction score
I do like the turn by turn directions, however the google turn by turn gps has twice not found a home address and had me way out of the way because of it. So unless I am going to a long time business I tend to just use mapquest. Is there an update for it or am I missing something?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
They were told by Jobs and company that what they have is good enough so they blindly believe...
Remember most (but not all) Apple users can't think for themselves. In their eyes IF they needed it apple would provide it...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do like the turn by turn directions, however the google turn by turn gps has twice not found a home address and had me way out of the way because of it. So unless I am going to a long time business I tend to just use mapquest. Is there an update for it or am I missing something?

No updates that I know of. I've had it direct me a couple of times and it did just fine.

If you fine there is an error there is a place to report it. Check out Google Maps and I think you should find it in there. (on line)

countryboy498

Reaction score
Thanks Hook, I will check that out. I have used the GPS only a hand full of times and twice got really bad directions so it makes me cautious to put a lot of faith in it. However after reading several posts, people are saying how great it is. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

drew

Reaction score
I had an opportunity to use the Navigation over the past week.

First, I got lost in Kentucky trying to find a specific hotel. Chalked this up to the hotel moving and the address never got updated.
Second, it got me to the client I was visiting (1 for 2)
Third, you have to be REALLY specific to where you are going, as it kind of directed me to the wrong airport (Cincinnati - Lunken Field vs. Cincinnati International Airport). In the phone's defense, my wife was riding shotgun and wasn't paying attention to the map.
It had trouble finding businesses also.

I think it's neat from a "toy" perspective, but still has a little ways to go before it passes for a true GPS tool.

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
I love my sky net navigate but can someone please please tell me how to change the awful voice on there........Please!

number6

Reaction score
I found a nifty little control in Settings - won't actually change the voice itself but will alter how it sounds (accent and speed):

Settings> Text-to-Speech
-select "Always Use My Settings"
-Speech Rate (changes how fast/slow it speaks)
-Language (just for kicks, I have mine on "British English"; it's not perfect, but a nice change form the droning default voice)

One caveat- I'm not sure if setting "Language" to an actual different language would translate the directions into said language, or if it would just read the English words with the pronunciation/accent of the selected language. I'm too much of a chicken to try it for fear it might mess up my Driod!

drew

Reaction score
I'm actually hoping to get a language pack for either Snoop Dogg or Flavor Flav. Yo..turn rizzle fo shizzle...

miamidroid

Reaction score
I use the voice command "navigate to.." and it hasn't failed me once. Using the voice command you can spell out the entire address and then itll tell you. I think what some of you are experiencing, is the fact that when you ask for an address it pulls up a few of them with small differences, like dif zip code, ave instead of st or something along the lines, so make sure you select the correct address.. Also you can use the command "navigate to (name of business)" and it'll give you a list of businesses with that name and you just pick the one you want or if there are no other matches it will confirm the name of the business and all you have to do is touch navigate.