An honest DarkSlide noob question

IamGod2U

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This forum is great and has been a great help to me as I start to get my X to do everything I want it to. I came over from a BB Storm in July and must say I love my X. I was quite knowledgeable in how to mod my Storm- and I was one of the people who helped others like you all do here, and while there was a much bigger learning curve on my X, I finally decided to take the leap and root, ROM, overclock, etc.

So over the last couple of weeks I have tried the two ROMs that most people seemed to like best, Liberty and DarkSlide. I have to say that Liberty and it's things that didn't work so well did not sit as well with me as Darkslide, although there were aspects of both I liked a lot.

So... now the noob question (please don't kill me here, but)... how is DarksSlide better than stock? I don't see any improvement at all over what I had with stock, in terms of performance, stability, etc. Other than being heavily themed (which I wasn't crazy about at first, but made changes to make it more to my liking), I saw no real difference where I could say WOW... this is an awesome change. In fact, my MMS wouldn't send and some other things did not work as well, which was just not an option.

I tried it for about a week, and went back to stock. I was disappointed and thought that maybe I am just too green and missed something, or didn't have things set right somewhere... I don't know.

What I do know is that I don't know what I don't know, so I hoped someone could help me understand what is so much better. And I am sure there are other people out there wondering the same thing but are afraid to get ridiculed or look stupid. So this is for them as well as me.

I appreciate all of the work that goes into something like this, and BBCrackman was incredible in the Storm days... so I want to appreciate what you all do for the community. But I don't get it. Could someone help me understand why I should go back?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This forum is great and has been a great help to me as I start to get my X to do everything I want it to. I came over from a BB Storm in July and must say I love my X. I was quite knowledgeable in how to mod my Storm- and I was one of the people who helped others like you all do here, and while there was a much bigger learning curve on my X, I finally decided to take the leap and root, ROM, overclock, etc.

So over the last couple of weeks I have tried the two ROMs that most people seemed to like best, Liberty and DarkSlide. I have to say that Liberty and it's things that didn't work so well did not sit as well with me as Darkslide, although there were aspects of both I liked a lot.

So... now the noob question (please don't kill me here, but)... how is DarksSlide better than stock? I don't see any improvement at all over what I had with stock, in terms of performance, stability, etc. Other than being heavily themed (which I wasn't crazy about at first, but made changes to make it more to my liking), I saw no real difference where I could say WOW... this is an awesome change. In fact, my MMS wouldn't send and some other things did not work as well, which was just not an option.

I tried it for about a week, and went back to stock. I was disappointed and thought that maybe I am just too green and missed something, or didn't have things set right somewhere... I don't know.

What I do know is that I don't know what I don't know, so I hoped someone could help me understand what is so much better. And I am sure there are other people out there wondering the same thing but are afraid to get ridiculed or look stupid. So this is for them as well as me.

I appreciate all of the work that goes into something like this, and BBCrackman was incredible in the Storm days... so I want to appreciate what you all do for the community. But I don't get it. Could someone help me understand why I should go back?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Alright, there's not one good answer to your question. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Some of it is just a case of "Because we can".

Seems to me that every X is not the same, some perform better on one rom while others on another. So in that, opinions can vary heavily on the better rom.

Some people just hate blur, they can't stand blur and they wish it never existed. Again, opinion. I myself like some of the blur stuff, so I tend to lean toward Apex.

Now there are tweaks in all of these roms that attempt to make your device perform a bit better, transition smoother, and conserve battery longer.

I'm amazed at the speeds I can get on Rubix, it's the only rom that I could overclock over 1200mhz and still maintain stability. But since I like the features of apex with the blur, I extracted the performance tweaks from Rubix and now I've got the best of both worlds.

Right now, without any way to bypass the bootloader, we cannot get custom kernels on the X. I imagine if that could happen, you'd see a bigger increase in noticeable features.

You really just need to take the time to give a few roms a couple days each and find out which one fits your needs best. It may come down to you like stock the best. No one will judge you :)

pyroelite

Reaction score
Darkslide is basically stock with a theme, some blur & bloatware already removed & a few build.prop tweaks. Nothing special & def overhyped by a few (you know who you are).

from my DX

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Im not sure what in Liberty left a sour taste in your mouth but, that ROM makes the stock ROM look boring and outdated. If you get into the Liberty Toolbox there are numerous tweaks and mods that will improve the phone on many levels.

What issues were you having with Liberty?

mcp770

Reaction score
To anyone that wants to give an aosp (blurless) rom a shot I would highly recommend Rubix 1 9.7. I really liked liberty but the bugs were not quite worked out and actually had to do a battery pull a couple times. Coming from a bb storm the flashback didn't sit well. Anyway, Rubix is bugless after nearly a week and the fastest most responsive rom I have run to date. If you have a stock rom nandroid you have nothing to lose.

OP
I

IamGod2U

Reaction score
To anyone that wants to give an aosp (blurless) rom a shot I would highly recommend Rubix 1 9.7. I really liked liberty but the bugs were not quite worked out and actually had to do a battery pull a couple times. Coming from a bb storm the flashback didn't sit well. Anyway, Rubix is bugless after nearly a week and the fastest most responsive rom I have run to date. If you have a stock rom nandroid you have nothing to lose.

Rubix 1.9.7 is indeed the best ROM I have tried on my phone. I love so much about it in comparison to DS and Liberty, neither of which I found very appealing overall compared to stock. That being said the Market is force closing every time I try to open it and I am frustrated and sad that I may have to go back to stock. Help?