AMOLED / Replacement issues?

xmguy

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had 3 VZW GS4s and each has had a strange quirk with the Super AMOLED panel. The first one had a pink/purple tint/hue toward the top (near the Samsung logo).

Second one didn't have the pink hue but when the phone was tilted a bit the entire screen almost turned a green hue. Also had some nicks in the metal/plastic trim near the glass.

This third one seems OK.

But guys is this normal? They've all been CLNRs or Certified Like New Replacements.

Sent from my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 using Droid Forums

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Try getting a brand new one. Best way to go

Can't do that. It was a alternate replacement from a Motorola Bionic. So I have to take CLNRs. The one I have seems OK. Albeit a little off white. But all the AMOLED phones I've had have been that way. I just wondered if it was normal? I figured Samsung did a better job at refurbishing them than that.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Amoleds, especially Super Amoleds, tend to have a slight hue to it. I believe the reasoning to this is to produce a more realistic and deeper black. I also believe the other reason for it is because Samsung went with PenTile display. They also tend to oversaturate colors and that's a common complaint among those who don't like amoled.

You can try different settings in the setting menu; settings -- my device -- display -- screen mode. Select the one that works best for you and hopefully that resolves your annoyance/issue. Otherwise, it's fairly normal for your display to have a bit of a blue tint.

I've also read and experienced first hand with Samsung displays; TVs, phones, and monitors, that they tend to set it at the bluer end of the spectrum.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The s4 is not pen tile...
Pretty sure it is...the display improved due to the full HD resolution and higher PPI. You may be mixing it up with the Note 2 which doesn't use PenTile.

Edit: Yup it sure does, take a look at this article: http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-screen-display-comparison-212438/

And xmguy, the answer to your question is in the article as well.
"This pixel arrangement, however, uses two times more green subpixels than red or blue subpixels, a condition that often causes a greenish or bluish tint on the display."

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
...I figured Samsung did a better job at refurbishing them than that.

I wouldn't assume that Samsung did the refurbishing.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes sir I stand corrected...but as an s4 owner I can say that you can't notice it like you can on my RAZR HD....

Thanks to the high resolution and ppi the s4 surpassed expectations when it was first announced they used pentile

I believe the article mentioned it used a different pattern as well compared to pentile of old so that could play a factor

Sent from my Galaxy s4 via Tapatalk 4

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Thanks to the high resolution and ppi the s4 surpassed expectations when it was first announced they used pentile

I believe the article mentioned it used a different pattern as well compared to pentile of old so that could play a factor

Yeah the S4 does use Pentile display. But its nowhere as bad as some of the Motorola phones I've had that were pentile. This is at such his resolutions and PPI that it doesn't show. But I guess if I'm seeing these hues it must.

The note 2 may not be pentile but its lower 720p resolution and PPI make very small text hard to read even on its 5.5" display.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well if the rumors are true the note 3 is going to be one heckuva entertainment device with its massive full HD screen