Amazon Won't Actually Be Opening 2,000 Amazon Stores.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

After the exciting launch of the first ever Amazon grocery store reports started mentioning that Amazon had intentions of opening 2000 stores world wide. It would be a pretty logical step for someone guessing Amazon's intentions to think they may immediately jump into such a huge growth plan. The idea is excellent in my opinion. Obviously Amazon can not figure out a way to do groceries at a reasonable price over the web. I mean heck a 2 Liter bottle of diet coke will set you back $11! Having a bunch of brick and mortar grocery stores solves that problem. They don't have to worry about the logistics of shipping smaller products. Currently you would need to purchase many grocery products through Amazon's Prime Pantry in order to get a decent price on shipping.

In many ways it would also seem like a bad idea to open thousands of brick and mortar stores. If you think about it Amazon pioneered online shopping for everything. These days you are more likely to visit a brick and mortar store to touch and see a product and then order the same product on your phone before walking out of the store. Amazon's entire business model is to provide an alternative to in person purchases. For now you are required to own a smartphone in order to make a purchase at an Amazon Store. This eliminates a good bit of would be shoppers although it seems you could put together some sort of shopping token that would allow you to walk in and track your purchases. I see this as being more of a case study. This seems to be a proof of concept that could potentially be rolled out as a retrofit kit for stores that already exist and Amazon could provide the systems for a percentage of every sale. Amazon says they won't be opening 2000 of anything, and that they have much to learn still. I guess only time will tell.

via Cnet

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
In many ways it would also seem like a bad idea to open thousands of brick and mortar stores. If you think about it Amazon pioneered online shopping for everything. These days you are more likely to visit a brick and mortar store to touch and see a product and then order the same product on your phone before walking out of the store. Amazon's entire business model is to provide an alternative to in person purchases. For now you are required to own a smartphone in order to make a purchase at an Amazon Store. This eliminates a good bit of
I see this as being more of a case study. This seems to be a proof of concept that could potentially be rolled out as a retrofit kit for stores that already exist and Amazon could provide the systems for a percentage of every sale. Amazon says they won't be opening 2000 of anything, and that they have much to learn still. I guess only time will tell.

I don't see this as a bad idea. Sure, Amazon pioneered "online shopping", but they pioneered online shopping for consumer goods, not groceries. Even their dash button grocery thing hasn't taken off the way they had hoped, but at least they are attempting to offer new ways of purchasing everyday items we all need. That's a lot more than any other online retailer (OR brick and mortar based company for that matter) can say.

THIS is about trying out alternative means of purchasing our groceries; groceries mind you that have literally been purchased pretty much the exact same way for thousands of years.
That IMO, is pretty damn cool!
Their idea of taking "baby steps" makes complete sense, just as it does with any new business model. The fact that they plan to keep going with this concept is exciting IMO, and if done right, will be a huge success.

S7 Edge tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a proof of concept that could potentially be rolled out as a retrofit kit for stores that already exist and Amazon could provide the systems for a percentage of every sale. Amazon says they won't be opening 2000 of anything, and that they have much to learn still. I guess only time will tell.

I figured this was a better idea from the beginning, the moment I heard of I this I told my friends that Amazon will sell this as a solution to safeway, qfc, etc etc... walk in, walk out, amazon handles the monetary transactions just like current credit card processors... makes a hell of a lot more sense than opening 2000 of their own stores.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want Amazon to invent teleportation delivery system and beam product right into my living room.
I'd settle for order it on my phone and it be delivered but Google or Amazon would fill the page with so many ads I wouldn't be able to see what I want to purchase

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><