Amazon: The Kindle Fire Will be Easily Rooted; Amazon Won't Interfere

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

319042-rooted-tablet.jpg

Apparently, the new $200 dollar Amazon 'Kindle Fire' Android tablet could potentially be a goldmine for folks willing to root. Jon Jenkins, director of Amazon's Silk browser project, made the statement,
"It's going to get rooted, and what you do after you root it is up to you."

Jenkins indicated that he didn't know if the bootloader was locked, and that Amazon wouldn't help hackers root the tablet; however, he also indicated that Amazon wouldn't hinder people from doing so if that's what they wanted to do. The PCMag article also pointed out that the Amazon Android tablet "has a USB port and mass storage mode, so you can also sideload Android APK program files, even without rooting it." This could be a valuable means to bypass the Amazon's Appstore and have community developers create other options.

Original post by wicked @ FireForum.net

Source: PCMag.com

jcardona1

Reaction score
Customers doing what they want to a device they bought with their own money? That's absurd. Who came up with such a ridiculous idea?

:icon_ banana:

djwill48

Reaction score
So, hopefully one day when the CM crew gets their hands on ICS we will have CM8 on a Kindle Fire? (going idea crazy here) Some great times ahead I think! dancedroid

patfactorx

Reaction score
Amazon just won the tablet wars. I'm pretty sure those Apple iPad supply cuts stories are true.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I did purchase one, I wonder if I would want to root it. Maybe if to only create a nandroid backup in case I screw something up. That Amazon overlay on 2.1 looks mighty sweet. It even looks superior to Honeycomb in some ways.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I did purchase one, I wonder if I would want to root it. Maybe if to only create a nandroid backup in case I screw something up. That Amazon overlay on 2.1 looks mighty sweet. It even looks superior to Honeycomb in some ways.

Yeah, but slipping ICS onto this is going to be sweet. It would be tough not to root just because of this.

c0y0te

Reaction score
This is awesome. 200 bucks with no contract or TOS agreement: What's not to root?

Does anybody know if Amazon's gui has anything that could cause Apple to pop off? If the device isn't sold in a state that conflicts with any patents, does it matter if the user changes it on their own to include features that (allegedly) do? Is there any word about Amazon planning to pay Microsoft royalties?

I hope this works out.

trueislander

Reaction score
I'm definitely digging the cover-flow-esque interface. Wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with a Homescreen widget that emulated this (with customizable shortcuts of course) for ICS/Honeycomb.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im liking the kindle fire.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Thanks! That's cool, hate to just throw it into a drawer.

per-order here we come!