Amazon Set to Debut the 'Kindle Fire' Tablet on Wednesday

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-tablet-mockup.png

New industry intel suggests that Amazon's big press event scheduled for tomorrow in New York City will see the unveiling of the "Kindle Fire". This is the new Amazon Android Tablet we have been hearing so many rumors about. More info regarding the time-frame of release suggests that the tablet will launch around the second week in November. Some new details of the device have been leaked as well. It will be a 7-Inch tablet, with a similar look to the Blackberry PlayBook. However, the tablet is using a custom designed version of Android that reportedly, looks nothing like Android. Of course, the tablet has access to Amazon's Android Appstore, but does not give direct access to the Android Market.

Apparently, Amazon has gone out of their way to acquire publishing rights to a large array of content for the launch of the device. They have secured rights from several publishers like Hearst, Conde Nast and Meredith publishers, which would give users access to subscription services for magazines like Wired, Cosmopolitan, Car and Driver, GQ and a large list of others. One of the only hold-outs is Time Warner's Time Magazine, but Amazon is working to secure a deal "by the end of the year." Supposedly, Amazon will be receiving a 30% cut of the subscriptions, and this will be their primary profit motivator, since they are most likely selling the tablet at a slight loss. Amazon has also secured deals with Fox and others for movies and TV shows through their streaming video service, further solidifying that the tab isn't just an e-reader, but a full fledged multimedia device. This could eventually build into something that could give Netflix some competition in the streaming market.

This first device will use a TI dual-core OMAP chip, and there has been no official word on any other specs or devices, yet. Of course, tomorrow is the big announcement with all the details, and we will bring them to you as we find out more. Above is a mockup of the device.

Source: Amazon-Tablets via TechCrunch and AllThingsDigital

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My only thought is it locked up tight or can i put a new rom/kernel on it. If I can, i will happily buy one if the specs are decent (at least comparable to my DroidX).

darkmatter

Reaction score
possibly running the same chipset as the droid3/bionic? If root is achieved and I can put Android Market on it, this just may be what I get so I can give my nook color to my fiance. That and if it has HDMI mirroring and bluetooth (for my console emulators)

Brockjava

Reaction score
Battery life? Is it just a color Kindle or a full blown Android OS?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Names not horrible as long as they include a copy of Fahrenheit 451. Fire and books it's the first thing I think of.

Why the half step? Why not a full Android tablet that really runs the Kindle app super fast?

salturky01

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome device for 199$!

amazon-tablet-mockup.png

New industry intel suggests that Amazon's big press event scheduled for tomorrow in New York City will see the unveiling of the "Kindle Fire case". This is the new Amazon Android Tablet we have been hearing so many rumors about. More info regarding the time-frame of release suggests that the tablet will launch around the second week in November. Some new details of the device have been leaked as well. It will be a 7-Inch tablet, with a similar look to the Blackberry PlayBook. However, the tablet is using a custom designed version of Android that reportedly, looks nothing like Android. Of course, the tablet has access to Amazon's Android Appstore, but does not give direct access to the Android Market.

Apparently, Amazon has gone out of their way to acquire publishing rights to a large array of content for the launch of the device. They have secured rights from several publishers like Hearst, Conde Nast and Meredith publishers, which would give users access to subscription services for magazines like Wired, Cosmopolitan, Car and Driver, GQ and a large list of others. One of the only hold-outs is Time Warner's Time Magazine, but Amazon is working to secure a deal "by the end of the year." Supposedly, Amazon will be receiving a 30% cut of the subscriptions, and this will be their primary profit motivator, since they are most likely selling the tablet at a slight loss. Amazon has also secured deals with Fox and others for movies and TV shows through their streaming video service, further solidifying that the tab isn't just an e-reader, but a full fledged multimedia device. This could eventually build into something that could give Netflix some competition in the streaming market.

This first device will use a TI dual-core OMAP chip, and there has been no official word on any other specs or devices, yet. Of course, tomorrow is the big announcement with all the details, and we will bring them to you as we find out more. Above is a mockup of the device.

Source: Amazon-Tablets via TechCrunch and AllThingsDigital

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I ordered 2 of these directly from Amazon.com. It said, and still says, ship date November 15th, estimated arrival November 18th. So, Id say Tuesday is the day. And you are right about them aquiring licenses. I ordered these about a month or so give or take. Every day I get emails about things I can go ahead and buy and they will be ready right when I get my Fire. Magazines, Music, Cloud Services, Book Club thats kinda acts like a library (free with a return date..so to speak), on and on....

dylanjone

Reaction score
I bought one for my kids. They are very happly.

New industry intel suggests that Amazon's big press event scheduled for tomorrow in New York City will see the unveiling of the "Kindle Fire". This is the new Amazon Android Tablet we have been hearing so many rumors about. More info regarding the time-frame of release suggests that the tablet will launch around the second week in November. Some new details of the device have been leaked as well. It will be a 7-Inch tablet, with a similar look to the Blackberry PlayBook. However, the tablet is using a custom designed version of Android that reportedly, looks nothing like Android. Of course, the tablet has access to Amazon's Android Appstore, but does not give direct access to the Android Market.

Source: Amazon-Tablets kindle fire case via TechCrunch and AllThingsDigital

darrick04

Reaction score
I've got one, and it refuses to find an internet connection. I've got a 4G mifi device (because that's our only true broadband option), and I have tried public wifi sources and it still won't connect. I realize this thread is old, but I wondered if any others bought the device and have experience the same issue?

Amazon is sending a replacement, by Friday.