Amazon is Supposedly Working on a Portable Version of the Echo, but it Might Disappoint

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-echo-mini.jpg

According to the latest rumor reported by the Wall Street Journal, Amazon is working on a portable version of the Echo. Hold on before you get too excited though. From the way it was described, it sounds pretty lame actually. The intel provided indicates that the idea behind the portable Echo is a sound one, and initially got us very excited here at HQ; however, the execution will likely end up severely lacking. Supposedly, the portable version will not be voice-activated without pushing a button, and (of course), the device will need to be charged in a dock.

Needing to be charged in a dock occasionally is a given, but it does limit its portability somewhat. If the device requires physical interaction, that simply destroys the portable nature of the concept altogether. Besides, we already have devices that do exactly what this device would want to do... they are called smartphones. Can't Amazon just improve the iOS and Android app that interacts with the Echo? This seems like it could be a useless idea ultimately.

There has to be a better way we can get an Echo into every room of the house...

Here's our dedicated Amazon Echo section for further discussion: Amazon Echo | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: WSJ

ffarl

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, I don't get it. Who's phone DOESN'T do most of that stuff these days anyway? For me the main feature is that you can just holler at it.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
My belief after reading this is that its like a bluetooth connection to your phone, so you can bring it somewhere else but still have it. It would work similar to OK Google or Siri, yet be an external device ran through the app. Personally I use the echo quite a bit, and would love to use it while in the car and at work, and while I know that I could just get used to Ok Google or Siri, I prefer the echo. While yes I'd think that it'd be unnecessary though I don't think Apple and Google would help our Amazon pushing their digital assistant to their OS's