Amazon Debuts Two New Echo Devices: Amazon Tap and the Echo Dot

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-echo-products-march-2016.jpg

Photo Credit: VentureBeat

Amazon just surprised us with a couple of new versions of their hot selling Echo device. One is a Bluetooth and WiFi speaker with minimal voice command support, called the Amazon Tap. The other is a smaller (speaker-free) version of the Echo itself, called the Echo Dot.

The Echo Dot - $89.99 is a smaller (hockey puck sized) version of the Amazon Echo with all of the same functionality as the original Echo. It even has the same seven-microphone array, volume ring, mute and action buttons as its predecessor, and it functions with all of the same third-party services including new support for thermostats from Nest, Honeywell and Insteon. The only difference is that instead of having built-in speakers [Correction - the Echo Dot does have a small built-in speaker, but is best suited when paired with a more robust speaker], it now has an audio output port so you can hook it up to a separate speaker or audio device. Brilliant!

The Amazon Tap - $129.99 is a rechargeable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi portable speaker. It can access Alexa style voice commands, but only after being activated by pushing a button on the unit. Of course, it's designed for a different use than the other devices, so we can forgive it this quibble. It can stream Spotify via your wireless network without needing to sync up with a smartphone. The device includes two internal speakers for omni-directional Dolby-processed sound, and it has an internal battery, which can supposedly support nine-hours of playback time and three weeks of standby on a single charge. The Tap sits on its own charging dock, and includes controls for volume and skipping through songs forward or backward.

You will be able to snap up both/either of these new Amazon Echo devices with a preorder starting now, and they will ship later this month. While the Amazon Tap is available for anyone to purchase, the Echo Dot is of limited stock right now, and is available exclusively to folks who already own the original Amazon Echo. In fact, it must be ordered through the Amazon Echo.

Here's how to get them:
I can imagine many of you folks might seriously consider the Echo Dot now considering the cheaper price and audio output port. It's a shame that you have to already own the OG Echo to get it. Hopefully they will ramp up production and change that soon. What do you think?

Don't forget to stop by our dedicated Amazon Echo section for further discussion: Amazon Echo

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a cheaper way to get multiple Echo devices for different rooms of the house. It's also a way to upgrade the audio to something even better than what is included in the OG Echo.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, I was thinking the same @PereDroid . However, if you have a large house it may be useful to put the Dot in another room in order to activate the Echo and/or separate audio system.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
What exactly makes the echo better than just a Bluetooth speaker?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What exactly makes the echo better than just a Bluetooth speaker?

This same question has been asked in multiple other threads before, but I will throw out a few quick reasons.
  • The Echo can answer questions related to sports, the weather, trivia, history and a wide variety of other topics.
  • It can keep a running and easily updated, voice controlled grocery list (this is one of our favorite features as it makes it super easy to update when you have multiple people in your family).
  • With separate purchased adapters, the Echo can run the lights and outlets in your home. The Echo can control several different digital thermostats remotely through voice commands.
  • With voice commands, you can easily set an alarm or timer to let you know when the laundry is finished or when to pull something out of the oven.
  • Of course, it can also play music playlists from Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Prime and more (all through voice commands)
Those are the few best features that come to mind off the top of my head. Basically, it's like having the Star Trek: The Next Generation computer actively working in your home. There is no Bluetooth speaker that can even come close to comparing to what the Echo can do.

In my home, it's one of our favorite and most used devices, and it's hard to describe just how cool it is until you have experienced it for yourself. If you do some searching, you will find that @danDroid feels the same way about his.

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This same question has been asked in multiple other threads before, but I will throw out a few quick reasons.
  • The Echo can answer questions related to sports, the weather, trivia, history and a wide variety of other topics.
  • It can keep a running easily updated, voice controlled grocery list (this is one of our favorite features as it makes it super easy to update when you have multiple people in your family).
  • With separate purchased adapters, the Echo can run the lights and outlets in your home. The Echo can control several different digital thermostats remotely through voice commands.
  • With voice commands, you can easily set an alarm or timer to let you know when the laundry is finished or when to pull something out of the oven.
  • Of course, it can also play music playlists from Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Prime and more (all through voice commands)
Those are the few best features that come to mind off the top of my head. Basically, it's like having the Star Trek: The Next Generation computer actively working in your home. There is no Bluetooth speaker that can even come close to comparing to what the Echo can do.

In my home, it's one of our favorite and most used devices, and it's hard to describe just how cool it is until you have experienced it for yourself. If you do some searching, you will find that @danDroid feels the same way about his.
Awesome thank you! Sounds like something I may have to look into.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
Love my Echo. Just don't have much of a reason to have multiple devices since mine is centrally located.

I would like a smaller Echo for work, but just about any BT enabled speaker would suffice

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The dot is pretty cool! I just may have to get one....or not! Grrrrr don't have an Echo.

Damn!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The dot is pretty cool! I just may have to get one....or not! Grrrrr don't have an Echo.

Damn!
+1 CK.. I opted for the Echo when it was a preorder item. Amazon won't ship the Echo to Thailand.. So looks like the Dot is out as well....lol

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Could've had it sent to me also. I'd of done the same except tried it out before forwarding it... you know make sure it worked ok to avoid the headache of having to send it back

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The real question, for me, is do these things sync with each other? I don't have an echo and am not completely sold on whether I'd actually use it enough to justify buying one, but if they all synced together, let's say to play the same music in multiple rooms of the house, synced up and/or communicated with each other (save lists, position in a news story, etc and be able to pick up where you leave off in the other room), I might see a bit more value.

I'm kind of tempted to check out the dot for the price, but don't really have a convenient audio setup that I could add it to, so I'd have to rely on the built-in speaker, which I'm assuming isn't very good. At least until it proved its worth. I do have a Radio Shack BT speaker that I could plug it into that has decent sound, but then I've relegated that speaker to being less easily portable. Not to mention having to keep it charged.

Idk. I'm not sold on any of these devices at this point, although I've read plenty of great use cases for the OG echo on this forum.

realged13

Reaction score
If there is nothing impeding my voice (wall), about how far away can I be for it to recognize my voice?