Amazon Gains 10 Million new Prime Members over this Holiday Season

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It was my favorite cereal when we came to USA but it was expensive and we couldn't always afford it. Now I'm like a crackhead in the morning. Got to have my pops!
My family calls me the Cereal Killer (sorry, CK but I've had that nick for almost 30 years). I have a pic of me with my arm wrapped around a box of what were called "Sugar Pops" at the time, with a bowl in front of me and a spoon-full to my face, ready to be consumed.

6c08044e4f108df14bda802dbc8ae58a.jpg

0d22ed171183bd4d1a5b93c354518463.jpg

Then, as eating healthy and diabetes awareness and obesity stated to make the news, they slowly changed their name from "Sugar Pops" to "Sugar Corn Pops"...

654a3fea36eb163d9155e2e7104a9cff.jpg

And eventually to "Corn Pops"...

6ad92c2843bfdae83dbcbea4dc5cb952.jpg

...and actually started touting its fiber content as a healthy cereal.

c4e14873681307d406ed064e48bab379.jpg

They clearly moved the focus away from sugar altogether and actually now say "With a touch of sweetness"... Ha! Nothing could be father from the truth.

From Wikipedia:

"The name was changed to Sugar Corn Pops in 1978, and finally to Corn Pops in 1984, a time when many cereals dropped the word "Sugar" from their titles. In January 2006, the name of the cereal was changed to Pops, but after a few months of poor reception, was changed back to Corn Pops. Sometimes, this cereal is just referred to as Pops. The fat, cholesterol, and protein content is the same.

Taglines

Sugar Pops Are tops! (pre-1980s)
Gotta get... POPS! (1981–1988)
Poppin' in my head. (late 1980s, alternating with "Gotta Have My Pops")
You've gotta catch new Corn Pops! (UK, 1993)
It's hard to stop when it's pops. (1992–1999)
Gotta have my pops. (1988–2000, 2007–present)
Gotta have pops. (2007)
It's POPnetic! (present in Canada)"

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm not a big cereal fan, but my "go to" is Grape Nuts. Most weekdays it's Oatmeal (not the instant stuff) 3 minutes in the microwave and you're good to go.
iYvQlX7.jpg

I think I'm in the wrong thread! LOL
Another successful derailing....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Creme of wheat is my hot cereal favorite.. It used to be made in Montana.. Local thing...

For cold cereal... It goes back n forth..

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
^ sweet!

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I feel that this isn't a surprise- the 10 million is probably mostly free trials for free shipping. Give it another 30 days, I'm sure the numbers will shrink quite noticeably.

I know that I've done the trial specifically for the holiday season in the past :p

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good question. I would imagine so, but it's hard to say. I don't have a 4K TV yet to be able to enjoy it anyways, but I look forward to seeing how this plays out.
I'll probably wait until 2016 to upgrade my tv. 4K should be the norm by then and prices will be much better as well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And they're getting another prime ready to roll out?? Busy people lol

coolicool

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pequeajim

Reaction score
I was a prime member for 6 years and did not rejoin this year. Mine expired Dec 15th, so that was long enough to cover the holiday shopping season. The movie selection was not as good as Netflix, so I rarely used it. When they bumped the membership up to $100, I decided to ride it out to see if it was worth it for what I buy from amazon, but its not.
There's a lot of items that you can buy on amazon that have free shipping. I'm not in such a hurry that I need to have something overnight or in two days, plus, you're right, the prime items are typically more expensive.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
Things now get handed to USPS a lot. I'm not going to pick things up again. If I have to go get them, I might as well go get it the day I would ordered it at a store and have it instantly. I didn't know and the price increase so I'll have to consider letting it go this time.

Illrigger

Reaction score
Things now get handed to USPS a lot. I'm not going to pick things up again. If I have to go get them, I might as well go get it the day I would ordered it at a store and have it instantly. I didn't know and the price increase so I'll have to consider letting it go this time.
You must be at a PO box site, USPS drops things off at residential addresses the same as UPS and FedEx.

We had a lot of issues with USPS when they first started working with them - things not getting to us on time, mostly. They have really improved things since then, and a friend of mine who works for USPS has mentioned that they have made some pretty massive changes specifically because of Amazon's business. They even began Sunday delivery services specifically because of Amazon, when before they started working with them they were talking about cutting Saturdays.