Amazon Beats Google/Apple with Cloud Drive Media Streaming Services.

removement

Reaction score
Amazon cloud service works flawlessly! Really easy to sync a specific iTunes playlist to the cloud and just switch it up every now and again. I have terabytes of tunes so storing as a backup is not really an option.

I have messed around with mspot music and a few others and have always had a tough time specifying certain playlists and such to sync.

Amazon is a breath of fresh air and hopefully has set a bar others can look towards and try and raise.

In reality a buck a (streamable) gig is not really that bad, and the fact they already have been doing cloud storage with S3 this was a no brainier.

To the cloud we go!

Nibbz

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this is a complete rip off? I have an 80 gig iPod, and this Amazon cloud will never replace it. I'd much rather go buy another 120 gig iPod for $250 flat than have to pay 100 dollars a year for cloud storage. This is an awful deal! How can anyone justify these prices? Free isn't even worth it imo, 5 gbs? I haven't used less than 80 gigs since 2007 and I am not turning back to having to choose what music to take with me. Rip-off, no thank you. I already purchased all this music, I'm not going to pay amazon to hold onto my music in a cloud.

removement

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this is a complete rip off? I have an 80 gig iPod, and this Amazon cloud will never replace it. I'd much rather go buy another 120 gig iPod for $250 flat than have to pay 100 dollars a year for cloud storage. This is an awful deal! How can anyone justify these prices? Free isn't even worth it imo, 5 gbs? I haven't used less than 80 gigs since 2007 and I am not turning back to having to choose what music to take with me. Rip-off, no thank you. I already purchased all this music, I'm not going to pay amazon to hold onto my music in a cloud.

Guess it really depends on how you use it and look at it.

You have car insurance? Why pay a monthly fee so incase you get in an accident you only have to pay 500 or 1000 dollar deductable?

With this service (untilled I see what other come out with) I can access 20g of music from anywhere weather I have my phone or my iPod with me no matter what. If I am at a buddy's house and have something they like they can download it right to their computer, no cords involved. So unless you carry a little case with your iPod and your cords around 24/7 your sol.

Your paying for the convenience of no cord, multiple access point streaming of your music.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I agree I would much rather have cloud storage than carry around an ipod, I actually stopped using an ipod once I got a smart phone as it was just redundant. When cars get better options for internet access look for these services to really kick into high gear. With these services you can virtually take your playlist with you anywhere anytime and play what you want and if you decide you don't want the service the music is YOURS so you are not locked into any service if a better one comes along. Also I look for storage prices to come down as other mainstream services compete for users so win win...

Big Ry

Reaction score

I think BUYING MP3s is a complete ripoff. I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay $1/song for digital media that can easily be "lost"and is also terrible quality. In the industrys defense, I am quite the audiophile. I've been been in the car audio scene for about a decade, and sound quality has always been my drive. If I said that I don't have any mp3s or that all my digital music was legal, id be lying. But when it comes to certain types of music, especially my favorite bands and specific genres, I will settle for nothing less than compact disks. If I want that music in mp3 format, I have way better tools for creating the files than simply buying that CBR 128kbps garbage that is sold on itunes and the like.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Youre kidding, they sell 128 kbps for a dollar?

Im going to continue pirating discographies at 384 o_O

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For someone like me who's PC is always on, services like Audio Galaxy and Subsonic work perfectly for me.

I use the latter.

Although it is good to see cloud music starting to get moving.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Youre kidding, they sell 128 kbps for a dollar?

Im going to continue pirating discographies at 384 o_O

Honestly, its been quite a while since I've looked at prices....years even. When buying mp3s was fist introduced into the mainstream really...

I said "F this ish!", and never looked back. So things probably have changed a bit. But mp3s are still the format sold and still not lossless, so my arguement is still valid. And until they at LEAST develop a lossless and economical alternative, ill still stick to my CDs.

hotdog12

Reaction score
Works on DInc. NOTE: Took me two hours to upload 200 megs of music on dsl. Player is basic & clunky, but I expect it to improve.

Sent from DInc

geoff5093

Reaction score
Works on DInc. NOTE: Took me two hours to upload 200 megs of music on dsl. Player is basic & clunky, but I expect it to improve.

Sent from DInc
Uploads fast for me, took about 15 minutes to upload a 175MB video. It all depends on you ISP.

xan

Reaction score

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I think BUYING MP3s is a complete ripoff. I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay $1/song for digital media that can easily be "lost"and is also terrible quality. In the industrys defense, I am quite the audiophile.

I dont' see how they can be "lost" if you take percautions.
I copy to a CD for my own personal storage. Have some on my work computer, some on my MP3 player, some on a separate micro card that goes into my MP3 player (currently I'm using my MP3 player to help me fall asleep so it has a different micro memory card in it), on my netbook and when we were changing out computers at work, I put what I had then on a large memory card (accidentally bought instead of the micro one for my MP3 player).

Buying a $1 song instead of a $10 CD for that one song is worth it to me.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I think BUYING MP3s is a complete ripoff. I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay $1/song for digital media that can easily be "lost"and is also terrible quality. In the industrys defense, I am quite the audiophile.

I dont' see how they can be "lost" if you take percautions.
I copy to a CD for my own personal storage. Have some on my work computer, some on my MP3 player, some on a separate micro card that goes into my MP3 player (currently I'm using my MP3 player to help me fall asleep so it has a different micro memory card in it), on my netbook and when we were changing out computers at work, I put what I had then on a large memory card (accidentally bought instead of the micro one for my MP3 player).

Buying a $1 song instead of a $10 CD for that one song is worth it to me.

ETA: as you can see this is why "cloud" is so exciting for me. Of course I think I'll still take percaustions until it's more secure (I'm that old school--back up, save, back up, save...)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah, if you know what you're doing when it comes to backing up it's no problem hanging on to them. The only time that might have been a problem was back when the music wasn't drm free. Now you can store it wherever you want and not have to worry about a license.