Am I the only one wishing for an underclocked ROM when we get NAND?

blazercist

Reaction score
Just wondering If I was the only one who had thought about this? Whether its possible?

Its been quite apparent that despite the Incredible's awesomeness some people have been a bit upset with the battery life... With an underclocked CPU (say 750 Mhz) the processor would be undervolted/run cooler and potentially save a good deal of battery at a relatively small expense.

Will any ROM chefs be cooking something along these lines?

alm0614

Reaction score
with a rooted phone there is no reason you shouldnt be able to do this.. using setCPU just set your maximum to 750..

OP
B

blazercist

Reaction score
I was under the impression that you needed a custom kernel to alter the clock and thus needed NAND, I'm going to try this now and see if its possible and/or makes any difference.

Thanks.

OP
B

blazercist

Reaction score
Tried OverClocking Widget, didn't work, don't want to spend money in Market on SetCPU unless I'm sure it will work. I guess I'll just wait for someone to report SetCPU working on rooted Incredible or just wait for ROMs.

Lynx

Reaction score
Tried OverClocking Widget, didn't work, don't want to spend money in Market on SetCPU unless I'm sure it will work. I guess I'll just wait for someone to report SetCPU working on rooted Incredible or just wait for ROMs.

You can spend the money, try it, and if it doesnt work get a refund. I think its only 99 cents, not positive though I bought it a while back.

TekHawk

Reaction score
Just wondering If I was the only one who had thought about this? Whether its possible?

Its been quite apparent that despite the Incredible's awesomeness some people have been a bit upset with the battery life... With an underclocked CPU (say 750 Mhz) the processor would be undervolted/run cooler and potentially save a good deal of battery at a relatively small expense.

Will any ROM chefs be cooking something along these lines?

have you installed an overclock yet? you will most likely want the lowest one with 5-7 slots to downclock to a reasonable speed but you do need a overclock flash before you can over or under clock with most phones

CaptainTaco

Reaction score
Overclocking / underclocking requires NAND access, we do not have this yet. This is the case even with SetCPU.

As for requiring a Kernel, you would only need one if the phone does not have a stepping profile in it already, which I believe the incredible does. You would need a kernel to get a clock outside of that profile, i.e. an overclock (higher than 1.0ghz). I can't answer as to whether or not the phone has steps in it other than the 245mhz and 998mhz (1.0ghz). SetCPU shows many steps currently (with auto-detect), but A) it might be wrong, and B) you can't lock them without NAND anyway.

EDIT: Before someone catches me on it. I'm fairly certain that you could Overclock/underclock with a custom kernel even without NAND access, however, none such kernels are available at this time. Perhaps unrEVOked's newest work (Auto-Flash Recovery) will change that.

Berzerker

Reaction score
SetCPU is free, the market version is the donate version. Google SetCPU and it's on an xda topic.

OP
B

blazercist

Reaction score
You are correct sir, it does not work. Oh well, I donated $2 to SetCPU, I guess its not such a bad thing. Waiting for recovery flash tonight ;) hopefully I'll get what I want soon.