Am i smart enugh for a smart phone?

judygal

Reaction score
OK- finally made deicision to get a droid over an iphone and i'm beginning to wonder if i should have stayed with my old phone. I'm totaly tech challenged and frustrated since i can't get my old email account onto the new phone. Even my 14 yer old tried and it didn't work. Salesman said something about doing something different for MSN.com it didn't help that i couldn't remember my email password, so now tha i'm home, i'm lost and frustrated! Any suggestions as to what to do? Thx- i'm sure i'll need lot of "smarts" to figure this phone out- but it does look like a lot of fun if you get that far!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
First welcome to the forum. Second, we will help you as much as we can.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!!

Just wanted to give you a heads up that you should remove your phone number from your profile. We won't need that for anything.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_ ICS Xparent

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Welcome to the forum and to Android. The beauty of Android is that you can customize your phone ANY WAY YOU LIKE IT unlike the iphone which gives you what they think you want as far as layout goes. My wife is very tech challenged so I set her phone up with widgets of everything she likes to use and needs. She doesn't have to search for anything. It's all on one of the home screens. You can make your phone as easy or as hard as you want. It always takes a few weeks to get used to your first Android. It did with me and I'm very much a tech nerd. So don't give up. If you don't like the way something is on your phone, chances are you can change it. Google luck with it and if you have any questions feel free to ask, that's why we're here.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
We'll get you up and running faster than you can say I'm a geek!

Ok, crowd, let's come together and give this former iPhone voyage person a hand up onto the Android ship! I'm sure she'll have a lot more fun on our cruise ship.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep, listen to what these guys say, Welcome AND don't worry. You will have a blast with your Droid.
I look up to people that are "tech challenged" becuase I can't believe how much more tech savy thet are than me.
I ammdownloading and customizing "goLauncher" apps now, changing wallpapers, multiple email accounts, photobucket and emailing from the phone, moderating forums from the phone and before this phone and this forum - toiletpaper facing the wrong way had me stumped.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Which "email" app are you using for the MSN account? I would recommend K9 (app in the market) to setup and manage your email account...

OP
J

judygal

Reaction score
txs- i'll try K9 app. I think i'll be a lot better when my email is up & running. If that doesn't work, then i'll bug the guys at Verizon store:huh:.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
txs- i'll try K9 app. I think i'll be a lot better when my email is up & running. If that doesn't work, then i'll bug the guys at Verizon store:huh:.

Hehe, they know less than you! :blink: Setting up email isn't really all that difficult as long as your email service provider isn't doing anything out of the ordinary with server names, security settings, port numbers, etc. You should be able to use the default settings (or auto-detect) for most email servers. For some, they want your entire email address as your user name rather than just the part before the "@" sign. Also, many want you to use authentication for the outgoing email server, and the choice "use the same settings as my incoming server" should work.

Some incoming email servers use the "standards" - mail.domainname.com, or pop.domainname.com, and often use the "standards" - mail.domainname.com, or smtp.domainname.com for the outgoing server names. My office uses mail for both. Some are a little more tricky. For instance, MyVerizon's home email service uses incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net since MyVerizon and Yahoo partnered for their email service.

Also some email services have stepped away from the default port numbers of:
  • POP3 - port 110
  • IMAP - port 143
  • SMTP - port 25
And have moved toward "Secure" port settings:
  • Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465
  • Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585
  • IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 993
  • Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995
For instance, here's Verizon's home email setup;

Mail server settings
  • Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465
  • Your Verizon Online user name: [email protected]
  • Your Verizon Online password
  • Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.
Each email service provider has their own set of email protocols that you need to include in your email client (i.e. K9 Mail). If you have any difficulties, we're here to help.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:
S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope phone is working for you now. DancingNexus