Am I safe to root again?

travas2

Reaction score
I have a Droid 4 which I rooted to be able to use a tethering app, but I recently got an update for my phone, and I mindlessly updated it without knowing the repercussions.

I still have superuser on my phone, but no root access.

Should I be fine just rerooting my phone? If not, how would I do it safely so I don't brick it. (I forgot how I rooted it last time, so please point me in the right direction)

GigaJake

Reaction score
You're good to root again (I'm assuming you're on the Jellybean update now). You can root using the Razr Blade utility.

The utility and instructions can be found in the thread here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=241652

Rooting using this method will install SuperSU, so you'll want to get rid of Superuser. You'll need something that can uninstall system apps to do that, and no. Titanium Backup won't list Superuser in it's app list. I tried.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

travas2

Reaction score
If Jellybean is Android 4.1.2, then yes, I am.

What are your suggestions for getting rid of SuperUser, so I can start the process of rooting again?

GigaJake

Reaction score
I just went to the app store and searched for "system app uninstaller", found a free one, and used that.

However, you'll need root to remove system apps, so go ahead and re-root before worrying about removing Superuser.

OP
T

travas2

Reaction score
I figured it out. Phone is now rooted. Kudos, GigaJake.

GigaJake

Reaction score
It's buggy, it always fails step 3 the first time for me. Clear your smart actions data so it's essentially "untouched." Re-run it. Eventually it will work, I've rooted my phone twice using it.