alternative to WeatherBug? HUGE Data file with WeatherBug

royta

Reaction score
What is a good alternative to WeatherBug? The app is 5MB and the Data is 5+MB. I'll delete the Data in "Manage applications", go back to the WeatherBug app, uncheck "Enable Background Data", "Enable My Location", and "Enable Follow Me". At that point I am supposed to enter a location, but instead I'll just exit out and go back to "Manage applications". My Data file is back up to 5+MB without a single location being saved. If I do enter one location, the Data is 6MB for a total of 11+MB that this application is hogging up.

I sent WeatherBug an email, but I'm not expecting any changes since the same thing happens with the latest version of 2.5.494, the one I had prior of 2.5.485, and most certainly a few releases prior. What is the deal with this developer?

Thanks.

Roy

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
11 MB's isn't a lot.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
11 MB's isn't a lot.

exactly. and weatherbug elite on my phone is only 4.04 MB

This is not your decision to make. To me, a 5MB app that more than doubles in size with only one location saved IS A LOT. Now are you going to at least make a small effort in answering my question, or just give subjective opinions?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could try Weather Underground. I'm not sure of the app size on phone, but I can check in a few (just did a factory reset ha)

SniperDroid

Reaction score
This is not your decision to make. To me, a 5MB app that more than doubles in size with only one location saved IS A LOT. Now are you going to at least make a small effort in answering my question, or just give subjective opinions?

You could try the Weather Chanel app.. only about 3 megs in size. Personaly, I like the subjective opinions of guy's that have been here sooooo much longer than myself. Helps me learn what the hell I'm doing... I mean, since I came here with a problem anyway.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is a good alternative to WeatherBug? The app is 5MB and the Data is 5+MB. I'll delete the Data in "Manage applications", go back to the WeatherBug app, uncheck "Enable Background Data", "Enable My Location", and "Enable Follow Me". At that point I am supposed to enter a location, but instead I'll just exit out and go back to "Manage applications". My Data file is back up to 5+MB without a single location being saved. If I do enter one location, the Data is 6MB for a total of 11+MB that this application is hogging up.

I sent WeatherBug an email, but I'm not expecting any changes since the same thing happens with the latest version of 2.5.494, the one I had prior of 2.5.485, and most certainly a few releases prior. What is the deal with this developer?

Thanks.

Roy

Theres an entire category of weather apps in the market? I guess the weather channel app and AccuWeather would be pretty good as well (never used them but both have large networks for accurate weather i believe)...btw have you tried clearing the cache instead of just the data? it seems to build a large cache at first but once cleared it doesnt add very much?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
weatherbug actually seems to be the smallest...weather channel is a little over 5 mb and accuweather is about 10 mb...i havent opened them up yet, i'll update when i do but it would seem accuweather is out

weather channel app gets to about 6 mb total...still dont see why your weatherbug is taking up so much space though but if it does then it does lol

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
It's not the initial app size of 5MB that bothers me. It's the additional 5 to 6 MB of data that is used up with just a single location saved. It doesn't make sense to me.

I switched to WeatherBug over Weather Channel about a year and a half ago. I really like WeatherBug, but I'm just trying to free up same space and improve the speed of this aging Droid 1.

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
Theres an entire category of weather apps in the market? I guess the weather channel app and AccuWeather would be pretty good as well (never used them but both have large networks for accurate weather i believe)...btw have you tried clearing the cache instead of just the data? it seems to build a large cache at first but once cleared it doesnt add very much?

I don't recall seeing the cache actually get that large. I'll clear the cache on all the apps from time to time. I don't like to clear the data on any app because you have to reload everything.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not the initial app size of 5MB that bothers me. It's the additional 5 to 6 MB of data that is used up with just a single location saved. It doesn't make sense to me.

I switched to WeatherBug over Weather Channel about a year and a half ago. I really like WeatherBug, but I'm just trying to free up same space and improve the speed of this aging Droid 1.

Its a little hassle sometimes but theres always the option of link2sd if you're rooted, just a suggestion too

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weather Underground is 2.98MB app and 3.12MB total.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I'm simply making the point that emailing them won't solve anything because 11 MB's isn't anything abnormal. That said, the easiest way is simply accessing weather.com or the like.

OP
R

royta

Reaction score
It's probably time to trade in the Droid 1 for a Droid X2 anyway. Still, doubling the overall size when adding a single location is goofy.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's probably time to trade in the Droid 1 for a Droid X2 anyway. Still, doubling the overall size when adding a single location is goofy.

nooo, the OG DROID 1 never dies lol I would suggest rooting and using link2sd if you really want more space, its like my phone has basically an extra 512 mb storage for apps lol, and swap is usually handy too