Allwinner A23 freezing after starting

shinnen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
none
Hi all,
I've had this tablet for a long time, and have rooted it; but recently I put an application on that seems to have had a bad effect. It freezes after starting. (I've forgotten the name of the application I installed.). It could also be because I overclocked it too high or some setting I changed, I'm not really sure.
I have tried the various remedies suggested on the net, i.e. holding power and up volume buttons, until restart, followed by wiping the cache and factory resets. Nothing prevents the screen freeze; but the factory reset did give a different screen after starting, which did not respond either. The internal storage (recovery menu) show several entries; but I'm not sure which one might do anything). The external storage option does not have any entries, even with the SD card installed. I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me.
Here's what I know about the tablet:
It's an Allwinner A23
Android version 4.2.2 firmware 2.0.8
A23 processor
Model Q8H
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
........ john

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hello and welcome to the forum ...apologies just not familiar with your device ...

OP
S

shinnen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
none
Thanks for having a look. I'm not surprised, it's very old.
Thanks again,
... john

OP
S

shinnen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
none
Hi,
I have since discovered that the touch screen does not freeze in recovery mode, but does after booting. Is this a software or hardware problem?
Thanks,
...... john

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That kind of sounds like a software problem, but that's just a guess. You could always try backing up important data somewhere safe (cloud storage, USB device, laptop, etc) and do a factory reset on the tablet and see how it works fresh & clean before you start adding apps and adjusting settings. That would be the next logical step.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
S

shinnen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
none
Hi Sajo,
Oh I've tried that several times, and every other recovery option I can. (I have a feeling that rooting has somehow prevented recovery options and factory reset.)
I've also considered re-installing the OS, but I don't have a copy, and no one seems to
know where I can find one. I can use it though, if I attach a mouse, via OTG; but that pretty much eliminates the advantage of having a tablet.
Thanks again,
....... john

OP
S

shinnen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
none
Hi,
I'm suspecting that the OS is somehow screwed, since it works with the mouse (but not touch) after booting ,,,,,,,,,, yet the touch screen works in recovery. Would that be your opinion?
Thanks,
....... john