All icons disappeared!

Pidge

Reaction score
Got a text this morning, sent back a one letter reply and POOF all my icons on every panel disappeared. Use Handcent. I might have touched the home screen, but so what.
Is there even a setting to do that????
I'm really starting to think I got the wrong phone.
Had to rebuild all 9 panels.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
are you using any home replacements? and try a simple reset next time before replacing all your apps - this usually fixes these kind of things

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had this happen once in the past. You can tell that you were sliding from screen to screen so I knew it wasn't frozen. I just shut down and turned back on and everything was back. Never did it since.

chewy74

Reaction score
what launcher are you using. it happened a couple of times when i was using the ADW launcher...a reboot will fix it

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
are you using any home replacements? and try a simple reset next time before replacing all your apps - this usually fixes these kind of things

No home replacements.

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
I had this happen once in the past. You can tell that you were sliding from screen to screen so I knew it wasn't frozen. I just shut down and turned back on and everything was back. Never did it since.

I could slide to all panels. All were blank.
I tried shutting off and turning on, still all were gone.

what launcher are you using. it happened a couple of times when i was using the ADW launcher...a reboot will fix it

Launcher?

chewy74

Reaction score
its the same thing as a home replacement, just a different term used...but you already answered that question

did you accidentally clear your launchers data in the menu/settings/applications/manage applications - filter/all

if you have a fairly recent nandroid backup, you can try to restore if you dont care about losing a few text and call historys.

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
I don't know about the home replacement. It had options for panel size when I got the phone.
Did not clear any data.

Did it again today! This time, I wasn't using the phone at all but I think it may be related to a widget. Both times the widget was activated. The ScreenModeWidget.
Maybe there's some conflict.
I shut off phone, waited a minute or two, turned it back on and I had double of all icons.....erghhhh.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know about the home replacement. It had options for panel size when I got the phone.
Did not clear any data.

Did it again today! This time, I wasn't using the phone at all but I think it may be related to a widget. Both times the widget was activated. The ScreenModeWidget.
I shut off phone, waited a minute or two, turned it back on and I had double of all icons.....erghhhh.

been there, done that. There are other threads on this. Whatever causes it is elusive. I managed to get it to stay that way long enough to get my phone to the store. Stock phone, never had been rooted (yet:)).

The tech there said, back in Jan 2010, that the thinking at the time was that the icons ended up behind the wallpaper and that this occurred with certain wallpapers that weren't "correct". She couldn't elaborate on what wasn't right about the wallpaper but I had gotten it from an app in the market that had all sorts of different categories of wallpaper.

It happened 3-4 times to me then never again. Only the first time did I replace all the icons and end up with them double up later on. They always come back so replacing them is not the answer.

OP
Pidge

Pidge

Reaction score
Did not clear any data.

been there, done that. There are other threads on this. Whatever causes it is elusive. I managed to get it to stay that way long enough to get my phone to the store. Stock phone, never had been rooted (yet:)).

The tech there said, back in Jan 2010, that the thinking at the time was that the icons ended up behind the wallpaper and that this occurred with certain wallpapers that weren't "correct". She couldn't elaborate on what wasn't right about the wallpaper but I had gotten it from an app in the market that had all sorts of different categories of wallpaper.

It happened 3-4 times to me then never again. Only the first time did I replace all the icons and end up with them double up later on. They always come back so replacing them is not the answer.

Interesting. I got my wallpaper also from the same app, I think.
But I had the wallpaper for over a week before the icons disappearing issue.
It just happened again about 3 minutes ago. Shut off, wait, restart, icons back. Frustrating.