Home screen icons disappearing . . .

Bateluer

Reaction score
Strange issue, experienced with both Stock 2.1 and Cyanogen 5.0.6.2. Randomly, all the icons on all 5 home screens disappear, including the widgets. Usually, the app drawer still works. However, the only way to get the icons and widgets back is to reboot the phone, and they'll usually vanish again before too long. Primarily, I was using the stock Home screen under CM5062 before the Helix Launchers and Launcher 2 were too laggy. In order to trouble shoot this, I flashed a different launcher, called ADW Launcher, which I rather like. However, the same issue reoccurred, requiring a reboot.

I uninstalled the apps that I've installed the past few days since this started occurring frequently, Mint, UPS, and State Farm Pocket Agent. However, it still happens.

Any ideas? I'd rather not do a full /data & /cache wipe until CM 5.0.7.x. When I flashed the current install of 5.0.6.2, I did a full wipe and format before installing, so it was clean. That was a day or so after 5.0.6.2 was released.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm running Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 and I have a similar situation. When I put the phone in the dock and remove it, sometimes, all of my icons disappear. They do, however, return without a reboot.

Do you by chance have a task killer?

Mike

mfratto

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on a rooted Android. Did some digging on forums that indicated that the Home application is failing and often that is due to misbehaving widgets. The fix to get your home screen back is to go to managed applications, filter running, scroll down to Home, click, and force stop (I actually hit this a few times for good measure). When you go Home, it will reload. No more need to reboot.

Now, the real fix is to find the misbehaving widget and remove it. In my case, I had recently installed some Curvefish widgets (Bluetooth and GPS). I removed them both and the problem stopped.

You might also want to revert to a stock Home screen, remove live wall papers, etc, and then start enabling them one at a time wait an appropriate amount of time (in my case, it was a weekly problem) to see if the problem recurs.