Alarm Issue Yesterday

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in McDonalds and my 1:30 pm alarm goes off. I carefully reach into my pocket to turn the alarm off and there is no screen to do it with. In the meantime very loudly the phone is playing Medicine Jar and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I couldn't turn the volume down, my hands were a bit greasy from french fries. Finally it stopped. then started up again but this time the alarm screen popped up so I was able to turn it off.

I've never quite understood the alarm. Sometimes just touching the glass stops it other times I have to press right on the selections. This wasn't an embarrassing situation but it could have been had I been in an other area.

I tried going to the alarm itself but it just gave me the clock selection to chose from. Any ideas how I can turn it off if this should happend again?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, lol that wasn't a real issue. I just mentioned it because when it was all happening I was kind of fumbling with the phone.

Problem was that the screen to either cancel or sleep the alarm didn't come up on the home screen. Maybe I wasn't clear and a gave a little too much info. When it rang the second time the cancel/sleep screen appeared.

I really don't understand the alarm. Sometimes it will go off as soon as I touch the glass, other times it won't go off until I touch an icon. Maybe it's a software issue, or maybe user issue.

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe you hit something and ended up on home by mistake? there was probably a message in your notification bar. you could have tried turning the screen off and back on.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe you hit something and ended up on home by mistake? there was probably a message in your notification bar. you could have tried turning the screen off and back on.

Yes. I did that and the alarm just kept on playing. I pushed the top button but the alarm just kept right on playing after the screen went dark. Then I pushed the button and swiped the screen and regular home screen was there. Alarm was still playing.

Maybe this was just a freak occurrence. Usually if I just tap the screen the alarm either quits or sleeps.

Silver Member
Reaction score
tap what screen, the alarm screen? the home screen? i haven't used the alarm yet, but just tapping the screen doesn't make sense to me.

can someone verify?

have you tried just scheduling an alarm for the immediate future to test your theory?

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I'd guess that in trying to get it out of your pocket, you accidentally hit a button which you didn't intend to hit.

I use the alarm all the time without issue.

Maybe try a test of the alarm when you know your phone will be easily accessible and see what happens.

ETA: I should mention that I just use the normal alarm--I am not using any apps that link it to music or anything like that. Just the standard alarm and the standard choices for alarm ringtones that came built into the phone.

If you are using one of the market apps that allows you to link the alarm function to your music files or streaming radio, the issue could have been with the app.

Last edited:

imiller913

Reaction score
I had an issue with my alarm this morning when it went off at 6:45 and when I hit dismiss it would not shut off, I had to pull the battery out to get it to stop! WTH

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd guess that in trying to get it out of your pocket, you accidentally hit a button which you didn't intend to hit.

I use the alarm all the time without issue.

Maybe try a test of the alarm when you know your phone will be easily accessible and see what happens.

ETA: I should mention that I just use the normal alarm--I am not using any apps that link it to music or anything like that. Just the standard alarm and the standard choices for alarm ringtones that came built into the phone.

If you are using one of the market apps that allows you to link the alarm function to your music files or streaming radio, the issue could have been with the app.

That seems a little far fetched but I suppose it could explain some of the other oddities that have happened. Most of the time it works fine it has shut off as soon as I tapped the glass. And when I say taking it out of my pocked I should say it's a shirt pocket not a pants pocket so it's right there where I can get it easily. Even with greasy fingers.:)

App I use for this is called Ringroid.

Reaction score
happened to me too. I accidentally touched the screen when the alarm went off... i'm groggy from just getting up... and the dismiss/snooze buttons disappear. Just the home screen. Every thing stated above didn't bring up the dismiss screen back. Alarm wouldn't go off. Where did the dismiss buttons go? Played with it for a while and even killed it in task manager and it still beeped away. Battery pull shut it off.