Alarm goes off at time previously programmed

LocrianGroove

Reaction score
Hi,

My Motorola Droid has a problem with the alarm clock. When I change the time for my daily alarm clock, and I've confirmed that the change has been accepted, the alarm still goes off at the previously programmed time.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Benton

Reaction score
If the alarm is going off an hour or so difference from what you adjusted it to have you checked time zones on the Droid too?

Big Cam

Reaction score
Hi,

My Motorola Droid has a problem with the alarm clock. When I change the time for my daily alarm clock, and I've confirmed that the change has been accepted, the alarm still goes off at the previously programmed time.

Thanks.
I don't mean to sound condescending but are you sure it saved properly? After you change it if you go out and then back into the alarm, does it show the new time or the old?

If it shows the new time but goes off at the old time, maybe you have another alarm active? There are 3 on the standard droid.

OP
L

LocrianGroove

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks.
I don't mean to sound condescending but are you sure it saved properly? After you change it if you go out and then back into the alarm, does it show the new time or the old?

If it shows the new time but goes off at the old time, maybe you have another alarm active? There are 3 on the standard droid.

You don't sound condescending to me. But yes, I'll change it, exit the alarm application, then go back in to check it again. I also do not have either of the additional 2 alarms activated.

Benton, the difference is greater than an hour. I have the time, date, and time zone set automatically.

Benton

Reaction score
Hmmm, this one is tough. A couple of things, some obvious but I'll mention anyway.
1. We are talking about the Alarm app that comes with the phone stock?
2. By any chance did you check your calender for an alarm reminder that is set for daily repeats?
3. What happens if you leave the alarm turned completely off? Does it still alarm at the original time?
4. When you open up your alarm application you will see three different alarm settings available. If you hit menu you can add more, did you?
5. Back to alarm application, touch the top alarm time and a settings menu should pop up. Select an alarm tone. Select Done. Go to the next alarm time and repeat however select a different alarm tone, select Done and repeat these steps for each alarm event on your phone making sure the tones are different for each one. Select one and only one of the alarms for the time you would like it to alarm each day, leave the others in the "unchecked" state. Let's see what happens and which alarm tone goes off at the "old programmed time".

As you can probably guess, the actions in #5 above are kind of a last resort to see if there is something bogus with one of the alarm settings that is not displaying or updating to the current status. By having a different alarm tone we hope to find the culprit which I would then totally Delete the setting and re-add back in using the Menu, Add alarm function. Alternatively, you can delete all settings in your alarm clock app and re-add from scratch but this will eliminate the "hunt".

OP
L

LocrianGroove

Reaction score
Hmmm, this one is tough. A couple of things, some obvious but I'll mention anyway.
1. We are talking about the Alarm app that comes with the phone stock?
Yes, it's the standard Alarm app.

2. By any chance did you check your calender for an alarm reminder that is set for daily repeats?
I took a look at my calendar, and there's nothing there to that effect.

3. What happens if you leave the alarm turned completely off? Does it still alarm at the original time?
I haven't tried that yet, but I'll give it a go tonight.

4. When you open up your alarm application you will see three different alarm settings available. If you hit menu you can add more, did you?
No, I haven't added additional alarms.

5. Back to alarm application, touch the top alarm time and a settings menu should pop up. Select an alarm tone. Select Done. Go to the next alarm time and repeat however select a different alarm tone, select Done and repeat these steps for each alarm event on your phone making sure the tones are different for each one. Select one and only one of the alarms for the time you would like it to alarm each day, leave the others in the "unchecked" state. Let's see what happens and which alarm tone goes off at the "old programmed time".
I'll give that a try after I try #3.

Alternatively, you can delete all settings in your alarm clock app and re-add from scratch but this will eliminate the "hunt".
Well, the hunt is on. Let's see what happens with #3, then #5 first. Thanks for such a thorough troubleshooting approach. I'll check back in in a couple of days and let you know what's happened.

OP
L

LocrianGroove

Reaction score
Well, the "hunt" did not reveal anything, as I could not get the problem to repeat. How might I go about wiping the settings for the stock alarm app? I don't see a way to do this in the alarm settings, or under the menu for managing apps.

Thanks,
- Rob

Benton

Reaction score
Rob, you can delete the alarm settings in the stock app by pressing and holding each alarm one at a time until the pop-up window appears, select delete alarm and that setting is gone. Go to the remaining two alarms (I believe three come with the stock app) and repeat the delete process. Now you can begin adding new alarms with new settings by selecting Menu when in the alarm app and select Add Alarm. Glad the problem didn't repeat itself and wonder if by running through the troubleshooting process and changing things a bit we got the new time to over-write the old programmed time making the problem go away on its own...strange one for sure.