ADW Launcher

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
Recently flashed Ultimate Droid 2.5 for the first time...I cannot help but notice that while I am using ADW Launcher, it shows up in the market as "free", yet needs updating, but it won't update correctly. Why's that?

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
UD must of been pre-installed with ADW, which means that you mightn jot have to update it. Just check to see what version came with UD, and what version is the latest on the Market.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's baked in. You can remove the stock launcher by renaming the system app apk to bak with root explorer or via titanium if you like. No sense in having 2.

atcjeff

Reaction score
Recently flashed Ultimate Droid 2.5 for the first time...I cannot help but notice that while I am using ADW Launcher, it shows up in the market as "free", yet needs updating, but it won't update correctly. Why's that?

The launcher included with ud 2.5 is a custom build of ADW. The stand alone will continue to show up as "free" in your download list but you will not be able to update it. It will also not show up in your list of available launchers. To use the standalone version and receive the updates you must first delete the stock launcher. DO NOT DELETE IT UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER LAUNCHER INSTALLED AND READY TO USE! Easiest way is to use TI backup to delete the launcher.apk, then reboot and select one of your other installed launchers to use. Go to market and download the standalone ADW, install and done! The new ADW EX is way cool and well worth the money IMO. You should try it if your a fan of ADW.

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
Is it worth deleting the modified version in favor of the "market update"? Also, I have been using Launcher Pro Plus for the past few months, it "did everything I needed" until I recently overclocked to 1.25Ghz and now Launcher Pro Plus seems so so so slow! I have recently spent close to $10 on this and that app, might at well try the ADW "ex"?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remove all the launchers except my main. Rockn the EX by the way.

atcjeff

Reaction score
Is it worth deleting the modified version in favor of the "market update"? Also, I have been using Launcher Pro Plus for the past few months, it "did everything I needed" until I recently overclocked to 1.25Ghz and now Launcher Pro Plus seems so so so slow! I have recently spent close to $10 on this and that app, might at well try the ADW "ex"?

The advantage to using the market version is that you will receive the updates as they come out. If you use the modified version you have to rely on UD to either create a new rom with a new version or supply an update patch and that can take a while. As for your other problem, is launcher pro the only app affected or do others run slow as well? If other apps are effected then try a different kernel. You can try a different kernel at the same speed or clock it down a bit and see if that helps. Have you tried uninstalling launcher pro, reboot, then reinstall and apply your backup?

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
Oh, my bad, what I meant was that before I ever rooted, LauncherPro was "the best I could come up with". After rooting and overclocking, LauncerPro seems useless (ok, not entirely) but I have now obviously tried ADW and I love it!

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
Well I deleted the Launcher.apk, and then installed the market ADW. I cannot think of anything ADW ex could provide me, unless I'm missing/misunderstanding something here?

atcjeff

Reaction score
The differance is, with ADW ex, you have 8 different transition animations between screens and the ability to customize your dock bar icons without having to apply a whole new theme. Read the info on the app for the full changelog. I love it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App