live2travel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum and need your expert advice on a new smartphone. Which Android phone would you recommend for mostly calls/text/navigation usage with:

- reliable updates/security for at least 2-3 years
- long battery life at least 24 hours
- NO bloatware (have used an old Samsung galaxy and do not care for the bloatware)
- 5G capabilities
- price point - lower the better but <$400

I do not care for/use:

- camera (use a separate camera for my pics)
- download/watch movies/listen to music etc
- size of the screen

Google pixel 4a 5G was optimal from what I gathered but it has been discontinued. Pixel 6 is overkill for my use and even pixel 5a 5G is over the top. Motorola Edge 20 Lite seems a good fit but how reliable are their updates? Same Q re Motorola G100.

Any and all advice much appreciated! Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the forum. With those parameters I would look at the Moto G series of the Pixel a series, 4a, 5a, etc. The Moto G series phones are truly awesome, it's really hard to beat the bang-for-your-buck aspect of them. The only drawback is you will get very spotty updates, if any at all. I love Moto, used their phones for 10 years; but their update schedule is not good. With a Pixel a series you get a great phone with a great camera and guaranteed updates for a few years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to The forum... I would recommend the pixel phone.. it's a little over the price range but not by much maybe you could find a deal... I think it would handle everything you need get good battery life and get updates easily for 3 years...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
L

live2travel

Reaction score
Thanks all for the response. Pixel 6 is out of my price point and 5a is likewise more than I want to pay. Is it a dumb idea to get 4a since they are now discontinued?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Not at all I think the for 4a can still be a good phone and you can get plenty good use with it...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I agree with bk, the 4a is still a great phone and will get regular monthly updates and annual OS updates for quite a while

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk