Advice needed by iOS refugee

Poita

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been using iOS for three years on iPhone and 2 years on iPad and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of all the 'Apple knows best' ways I have to do things. Anyway I could go on forever but the upshot is I'm moving to Android and need some advice.

At the mo I use a Windows 7 laptop. A crappy nokia phone just for calls and an iPad2 (soon to be sold). I want to have an Android phone and an Android Tablet. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy note 10.1 although it's a bit ugly, the screen res specs seem quite low and reviewers say it's a bit sluggish (despite a quad core cpu). Anyway I love the S-pen so I think I'm going for that one.
So as I do almost everything on a tablet I don't really want to carry a full on Android phone around too. A: I don't like doing stuff on a small screen, even a 5 inch one and B: I don't want to really replicate the same technology. So I'm looking to get an Android for for which I will mainly be 1. Talking 2. texting 3. photo & video 4. Using as a mobile hotspot for my tablet (if my provider allow it).
So apart from talking I would say that a great camera for photos and video are a big consideration. So I can you advise me on an Android phone model that isn't top of the range but also not obsolete and that isn't too big but can be great for photos and video.

Thank's.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome...might I suggest the galaxy note2.. its a phablet, it has the best of it hone and tablet features, would save you money on buying two devices...

And the note 2 is awesome.. hands down... check it out.. you won't be sorry. It is new, but you'll find that androids are cheaper than iOS... well, they can be..
But if you're having only one device to buy, you could swing the note2..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Like 94lt1 said, I think the Note 2 is the phone that was built for you. Combines everything you want in your phone into one and it is a beast of a phone at that. For right now I'd say it's top of the range because it's so new and it certainly won't be obsolete for quite awhile.

OP
P

Poita

Reaction score
I think the Note 2 is just too small a screen for the productivity work I want to do.

I considered buying it but I want a small phone I can listen to music on while I jog and carry it around when I'm chilling and a tablet for when I want a bigger screen and I want to be able to swap the mini SD card between them as a quick way of transfering data.

AndrewHuttle

Reaction score
As a former iOS refugee myself (love the term you coined by the way) I gotta chime in here and say three reccos now on the Note 2. Good phone. Consistent with what you know but better in a lot of ways. Welcome 2 the family :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have an SGN and a Nexus 7, perfect combo for myself. At home I don't even carry my phone around thanks to Tablet Talk. Both don't support SD card though, so probably not the combo for you.

OP
P

Poita

Reaction score
Ok, can you guys please read my post more carefully.

I want an Android tablet 'and' a phone. I want a 10 inch tablet to do productivity and when I'm walking around or going jogging I want a small Android phone. I don't want to go jogging with a note2.

I didn't ask you which is the best phone. I asked what's the best small phone.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
What's your price range for the phone? Are you thinking a used phone? Or new? How small is small to you? For instance my razr is small compared to the note 2, but huge compared to the lg vortex I had before. I'd want to get into a device that is fairly up to date. Galaxy nexus, or droid razr, ect. Both quite affordable on ebay now. But are those to big? The best is hard to define since what's best for me isn't maybe best for you, and best for $100 is different then best for $500

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok, can you guys please read my post more carefully.

I want an Android tablet 'and' a phone. I want a 10 inch tablet to do productivity and when I'm walking around or going jogging I want a small Android phone. I don't want to go jogging with a note2.

I didn't ask you which is the best phone. I asked what's the best small phone.

Well how small of a phone you looking at? Sorry for the confusion but the first part of your needs make it seem like you wanted a 'phablet' which is why the note 2 was recommended.

Now onto the smaller phone.... Have you checked our the razr m? That's one of the newer phones and one of the smallest out now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
P

Poita

Reaction score
I don't know where the confusion is. I said I'm looking for a phone and a tablet and I'm ditching iOS. I also said that I want the phone to be small but with a Good camera.

I think the Razr M is too expensive for me as I only want a basic android phone but up with up to date software and a good camera. I guess I want one that is not old but not the absolute latest generation. For me Small would be around a 4inch screen or even less.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe the Dinc 4g would fit you. It doesn't have JB, but it has ICS.

What you want, software wise, so far only comes on the bigger phones (> 4") or the Razr M, which is out of your budget. Can't really have a basic Android device with up to date software.

The Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere is the closest to fitting your needs, but even that phone is $130 or so. 4in with ICS as well and a physical keyboard.

edit: Just checked Verizon's site, the Razr M is going for $50 w/ new 2yr contract, that's one heck of a deal

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I agree on the razr m if you agree getting it on contract. If not, then yeah, to expensive. Otherwise, some of the last gen htc phones. Like the "incredible 4g" (mentioned before) at least get into a phone with ice cream sandwich

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

comk4ver

Reaction score
Or the razr cranberry (free) as seen here: https://m.verizonwireless.com/shop/details/All_Phones/v/6187
The thing is that it's on gingerbread but for your qualifications it's just right you just want to call, text, and photos. It also has hotspot capabilities. Are you only considering Verizon? But the razr m is actually super cheap right now being $50 online.