Advanced Settings In SetCPU For Battery Life

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First time poster, I'm a big fan of the boards and all that I've learned from everyone here. First off, a little about myself. I'm using an original Droid, rooted, and currently running CM 7 stable. What brings me here today is finding a good balance of power and battery life. I understand that I will need to sacrifice some power to save battery life, and I'm OK with that. Sometimes I can't leave my apartment for fear of my phone dying on me though (well, not really, but how bad would if be if my car broke down and my phone was dead?). I read Skull One's 101 OverClocking 101 thread and learned a lot from it. However, I've been playing with the settings, notably the Powersave Bias and Up Threshold, and cannot seem to find a good match. Regardless of what settings I put in, my phone comes off sluggish and sometimes even stops to a crawl. I was wondering what settings you guys have had success with? Or even what I should consider trying? I've attached my Profile settings as well. I should note that I had to jack up the min because 125 was too slow, my phone would have trouble waking up when I unlocked it, or it would take a few extra seconds to wake up when I got a call.

For the Sampling Rate, I've been using 32000
For the Ignore Nice Load, I've been using 0

I'm still learning the ins and outs of this wonderful program, so I'm open to any suggestions you may have for either the Profiles or Advanced sections.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try stepping your minimum up one notch and reboot. That may help. If not, you could try a different kernel.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Htown315

Reaction score
Step up a voltage in your kernal. Also set a profile for in-call for 550 to help squeeze a little more battery

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Try stepping your minimum up one notch and reboot. That may help. If not, you could try a different kernel.

Stepping up the min under Main? That new min would be 400, how much of a savings would I be looking at if I jacked it up from 250? I ask because I don't know where to find the voltage differences. And I don't know a thing about kernels or how to switch them. Doesn't mean I can't figure it out, I just wouldn't know what kernel to look at or try. I just did all the hacking and stuff this past weekend.

Last edited:
OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Step up a voltage in your kernal. Also set a profile for in-call for 550 to help squeeze a little more battery

What do you mean by "step up a voltage in your kernel"? Will add the profile right now for in-call, should I do a min of 550 and a max of 800? Or make it 550/550? And what priority should it take?

And I do apologize, I'm going to ask a lot of clarification questions since I'm still rather new to all of this.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What do you mean by "step up a voltage in your kernel"? Will add the profile right now for in-call.

You should have options for ultra low voltage, low voltage, or medium voltage kernels.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Stepping up the min under Main? That new min would be 400, how much of a savings would I be looking at if I jacked it up from 250? I ask because I don't know where to find the voltage differences. And I don't know a thing about kernel's or how to switch them. Doesn't mean I can't figure it out, I just wouldn't know what kernel to look at or try. I just did all the hacking and stuff this past weekend.

Stepping up the minimum speed should reduce your lag and shouldn't have that much impact on battery life...especially when scaling On Demand.

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/kernels-053111/ChevyNo1-0.8Ghz-medV-7slot-update.zip wipe and flash zip. There's higher clock speeds available if you want also. As for the profile I'd set it at 550/250. All my profiles are 100% priority.
Why 100% priority? And how so I flash the zip? Put it on my SD card and reboot into recovery? And do I rename the file you linked to just "update.zip" and then flash that?

Also while I'm waiting for replies, I'm out on Google trying to find the answers to my own questions.

Edit** Got the kernel installed. Shows the max as being 800 still. So I have to ask, what was the point of me installing that new kernel? Is it lower voltage?

What about the other settings I asked for before? Or should I slow down and do this one post at a time?

Last edited:

Htown315

Reaction score
100% because I want to my phone to obey me lol. Its a medium voltage kernal and very stable that's why I chose it for you. I trust that you did a complete wipe? Cache, dalvikcache and data? I am recommending a full wipe because it will eliminate the possible causes for your problems. If you didn't completely wipe then...reboot to recovery and wipe everything..flash rom..flash kernal..reboot.

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
100% because I want to my phone to obey me lol. Its a medium voltage kernal and very stable that's why I chose it for you. I trust that you did a complete wipe? Cache, dalvikcache and data? I am recommending a full wipe because it will eliminate the possible causes for your problems. If you didn't completely wipe then...reboot to recovery and wipe everything..flash rom..flash kernal..reboot.

I wiped the cache and dalvik-cache, not data. I can't wipe my phone's entire data right now. I could but I'd rather not though for the moment, I will do it when I finally have the spare money to invest in Titanium Backup. Everything is running fine with it, I've been playing with it since I flashed the kernel. So what is next?

Last edited:

Htown315

Reaction score
If everything is dandy then don't worry about it and enjoy your phone. I'd get TB its a valuable tool. What's next? Idk man read up on the forums and tinker with stuff lol. Maybe try out other Roms? Have fun

Last edited:
OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
I've been playing with the settings for a little while now, and I've been using my roommates phone to call me so I can see how quickly my phone reacts. It's a little bit sluggish but I've seen it get better and worse, but not a whole bunch to impress me. Any suggestions?

Also I was kind of hoping to find someone who has more experience in this so I could maybe have a better starting point.

Right now it seems alright, I'm using
Sampling Rate: 32000
Up Threshold: 40
Ignore Nice Load: 0
Powersave Bias: 300

I haven't been messing with the Sampling Rate when maybe I should be.

I did find this little quote from the Overclocking article:

So it seems some where between 30000 (33ish times a second) and 100000 (10 times a second), with an up threshold of 75 to 90 and power bias between 0 and 100 seems to be the safe bet for daily use.

So now I'm going to try out:

Sample Rate: 40000
Up Threshold: 80
Powersave Bias: 100

And I'm curious to see what other people say about setting the min from 250 to 400. It makes my phone respond faster when I get calls to say the least.

Edit** Now I'm back to using the default settings that are screen shotted in the original thread by Skull One. I guess it seems like the optimal settings.

My head hurts so much, I'm giving up for the evening. Hopefully someone else has something to add to all of this.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've been playing with the settings for a little while now, and I've been using my roommates phone to call me so I can see how quickly my phone reacts. It's a little bit sluggish but I've seen it get better and worse, but not a whole bunch to impress me. Any suggestions?

Also I was kind of hoping to find someone who has more experience in this so I could maybe have a better starting point.

Right now it seems alright, I'm using
Sampling Rate: 32000
Up Threshold: 40
Powersave Bias: 300

I haven't been messing with the Sampling Rate when maybe I should be.

I did find this little quote from the Overclocking article:

So now I'm going to try out:

Sample Rate: 40000
Up Threshold: 80
Powersave Bias: 100

And I'm curious to see what other people say about setting the min from 250 to 400. It makes my phone respond faster when I get calls to say the least.

Edit** Now I'm back to using the default settings that are screen shotted in the original thread by Skull One. I guess it seems like the optimal settings.

My head hurts so much, I'm giving up for the evening. Hopefully someone else has something to add to all of this.

The thing is: not all phones are the same. What works well for some, may not work as well for you. It's really trial and error to find your phone's "sweet spot" honestly.