addressing emails is tedious. Easier way?

cnradman

Reaction score
When I compose an email it seems I am forced to type out the entire address in the "To" line (the recipient). Is there and easier way to send an email to someone in my contacts?

Silver Member
Reaction score
if the person is in your contacts, it searches for them as you type the name out. then you can just select the person from the list.

if you are addressing it to someone not in your contacts, you're out of luck.

OP
C

cnradman

Reaction score
Can I add email addresses to contacts?

I see. It seems most of my contacts don't have email addresses so as I type the address for someone nothing was happening. I have entered some of them in the contact list and then the name shows up in the "To" recipient field as I type. Can I add email addresses to contacts when they send me an email? That would be the easiest way to capture their addresses. Another way would be to sync with my contacts on my Mac, but I don't know how to do that right now either.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see. It seems most of my contacts don't have email addresses so as I type the address for someone nothing was happening. I have entered some of them in the contact list and then the name shows up in the "To" recipient field as I type. Can I add email addresses to contacts when they send me an email? That would be the easiest way to capture their addresses. Another way would be to sync with my contacts on my Mac, but I don't know how to do that right now either.
yup. click the dot next to the sender's name. it will bring up options as to what to do with it.

OP
C

cnradman

Reaction score
I don't see a dot. I see a screen with black back ground and a red stripe down the left. Greyed out check boxes to left and greyed out stars on right with a list of mail messages. When I click on message it opens the message with boxes at the bottom that say reply, reply all, delete. No dot.

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh you're in the basic email client. not sure. i stopped using it. try long press on the sender's address, or the menu key.

OP
C

cnradman

Reaction score
Okay, found dot on some messages. Others have X'ed out dot. The dot is not responding very well. Have to hit is numerous times, but eventually (sometimes) I get the next option page you mentioned. What does the star mean? What is the check box for?

OP
C

cnradman

Reaction score
Basic email not the best I think. Other options?

Silver Member
Reaction score
star is to star your message (give them priority, etc.), check box is to multi-select. hit menu after checking emails.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
im using the stock email client and when i start to type someones name it shows only the names that have email addresses linked to them.

dont type the email address just start typing there actual name as it appears in your address book.

Silver Member
Reaction score
im using the stock email client and when i start to type someones name it shows only the names that have email addresses linked to them.

dont type the email address just start typing there actual name as it appears in your address book.
i think OP understands that. he just didn't have email entries for all of his contacts.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

i think OP understands that. he just didn't have email entries for all of his contacts.

so he's wanting his phone to just know email addresses for people that arent already on his phone?

OP
C

cnradman

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thanks. You advise has greatly improved my email experience. Makes me love my Motorola Droid even more. What a fantastic tool.

Silver Member
Reaction score
so he's wanting his phone to just know email addresses for people that arent already on his phone?

no. read post #3. he didn't understand that this is how it worked.