Texting: Is this a bug or the way it's supposed to work?

amajamar

Reaction score
If I want to forward a text message to an email recipient, only phone contacts will populate the To: text box. I have email addresses in my contacts yet they won't populate the drop down boxes, only phone contacts. If I manually type in the email address it will send it no problem, but I have to retype the whole address each time.

How come?

Seems odd, I guess, but there are even stranger idiosyncrasies on our beloved Droids. (Like no speed dial... that's ridiculous:icon_evil:)

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I've never attempted to send a text message to an email address honestly. I do know that the only contacts that will auto-populate are contacts with a phone numbers listed as Mobile phone numbers. It attempts to be smart enough not to let you text a home/landline number.

From what I understand, not all carriers enable sms-to-email so maybe they didn't add that feature.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
If I want to forward a text message to an email recipient, only phone contacts will populate the To: text box. I have email addresses in my contacts yet they won't populate the drop down boxes, only phone contacts. If I manually type in the email address it will send it no problem, but I have to retype the whole address each time.

How come?

Seems odd, I guess, but there are even stranger idiosyncrasies on our beloved Droids. (Like no speed dial... that's ridiculous:icon_evil:)

I am not sure if this would work but........ have you tried to long press on your text message content > copy then go to your email app, populate the email addresses then in the compose section long press again and paste. Like I said not sure if this would work but it is a possible work around.

superglen99

Reaction score
There is speed dial. long press on a home screen and add shortcut and select the person you want. bam, one touch speed dial.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems odd, I guess
Depends on your perspective. I've never had a device that would accept and email address as a recipient for text messaging. I've always had to text the carrier's gateway with the email address in the message body.

Have you looked into other messaging apps?