Adding a droid bought somewhere else to an existing plan

Alfador

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this should go somewhere else or here. I'm still new, and this is a pretty noob question so I feel like it is appropriate here. If I am mistaken please feel free to move it or lock it.

My existing Verizon plan comes due for upgrade eligibility on the 30th of this month and my decision is set in stone that I'm going to be upgrading to a droid. Where it gets tricky is that my current phone is just an LG chocolate and not a smart phone, and I am currently the second line on a multi-line plan. We would like to keep it that way as it is obviously a better deal financially.

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading an existing plan with a phone bought somewhere else, such as at a WalMart, Best buy, or Amazon? I've seen the offers from these places for droids at very cheap prices (sometimes with a rebate involved) with an upgrade or renewal. Based on my browsing of this forum it seems like it would be almost insane to pay the full price for a phone w/ plan that Verizon charges.

Does anyone have any advice or info on how to go about this? Like, what kind of info do I need to have with me and is there anything that might prevent me from upgrading in this manner? Also, what if I bought a new droid without a contract, and then had verizon change my phone and plan over to it? I know some of these may be questions for the actual salesperson but I've been around long enough to know you can't trust any salesperson without being armed with the correct info yourself to back up what they tell you.

Candice

Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken, I don't think it matters where you buy it. You should be able to activate it without a problem. And in case you didn't know, there's a $30/month mandatory data plan that will be added to your bill.

But you never know what could happen if you call verizon. I called them and asked for a B1G1 deal on my droid, I got two droids for $299 PLUS $100 rebate on EACH. (which could have been a fluke since I should have only received one, but I still got two $100 cards in the mail.) So I really only paid $100 for two droids.

Shop around and hopefully you can find a good deal.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
As long as the ESN is clean, you can add it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Alfador

Alfador

Reaction score
Excellent.

I'm fully aware of the data plan, and 90% of the people I talk to don't use minutes anyway so I'm not expecting to have to go above my current minutes package for a while. My only concerns are the effects this could have on the contract. Does anyone know if taking advantage of the upgrade on 1 line forces an extension on the whole contract or just that line?

zero7starz

Reaction score
Just that line :) Each line has its own contract, that is how upgrades are determined.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Verizon because I was curious about that also. zero7starz is on point. They said that each line (phone number) has its own contract as well as upgrade eligibility dates. He said that the only thing that renews the contract is an equipment(Phone) upgrade, and that only applies to the line that is upgrading, because that is how they get there monies worth out of giving us discounted phones. If the contract expires, that line just goes to a month-to-month deal, which does not change the pricing or billing, but allows that line to discontinue service at any time.

Now say you have a "friend" that gives you a phone that they don't want anymore, you can activate that new phone without incurring a contract increase, because you did not buy the phone from Verizon or a Verizon vender at a discounted price in conjunction with a contract. Usually any business that offers you a brand new phone at a largely discounted price, is a vendor or authorized agent of the service carrier of that particular phone, so you will get a contract increase if you use it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this should go somewhere else or here. I'm still new, and this is a pretty noob question so I feel like it is appropriate here. If I am mistaken please feel free to move it or lock it.

My existing Verizon plan comes due for upgrade eligibility on the 30th of this month and my decision is set in stone that I'm going to be upgrading to a droid. Where it gets tricky is that my current phone is just an LG chocolate and not a smart phone, and I am currently the second line on a multi-line plan. We would like to keep it that way as it is obviously a better deal financially.

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading an existing plan with a phone bought somewhere else, such as at a WalMart, Best buy, or Amazon? I've seen the offers from these places for droids at very cheap prices (sometimes with a rebate involved) with an upgrade or renewal. Based on my browsing of this forum it seems like it would be almost insane to pay the full price for a phone w/ plan that Verizon charges.

Does anyone have any advice or info on how to go about this? Like, what kind of info do I need to have with me and is there anything that might prevent me from upgrading in this manner? Also, what if I bought a new droid without a contract, and then had verizon change my phone and plan over to it? I know some of these may be questions for the actual salesperson but I've been around long enough to know you can't trust any salesperson without being armed with the correct info yourself to back up what they tell you.

My wife was in exactly the position you're in, I believe. Purchased a Droid for her from Amazon and activated it through VZW exactly as if I had purchased the phone from them. They extended her portion of our existing family plan to a two year contract (Mine has a different anniversary date), added a $30 per month data plan and we were done.

As you probably realize, you will, of course, have to add the $30 per month data plan to your existing family plan for the new smartphone in your family. There is no way around that.

OP
Alfador

Alfador

Reaction score
As you probably realize, you will, of course, have to add the $30 per month data plan to your existing family plan for the new smartphone in your family. There is no way around that.

I was indeed aware of the fee, but based on the way you mention it, it sounds like all the phones on one plan can share a data package? I guess that makes sense, seeing as how minutes and texts on a normal plan share a single quota. If that's the case, that's great news, seeing as how someone else on my plan was thinking about getting one and we may be able to split that cost if this is the case.

I know a while ago, Best Buy, or at least the ones in my area, had a sale where you could get a new Droid for $100 after rebate even without a plan.My guess it was a promotion aimed at early adopters to increase market saturation, but I'm holding out slim hope that between now and April 30, something like that will happen again.

Last edited:

Candice

Reaction score

I was indeed aware of the fee, but based on the way you mention it, it sounds like all the phones on one plan can share a data package? I guess that makes sense, seeing as how minutes and texts on a normal plan share a single quota. If that's the case, that's great news, seeing as how someone else on my plan was thinking about getting one and we may be able to split that cost if this is the case.

No No, it's for each phone. So if there are 2 smartphones, it's $60. It's separate from the minutes/texting plans. There's not a shared data plan.

So my bill, with two droids, is $90/month for the minutes, extra line, unlimited texting, etc, and then $60 for the *2* data plans. For a grand total of $150/month.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
I know a while ago, Best Buy, or at least the ones in my area, had a sale where you could get a new Droid for $100 after rebate even without a plan.My guess it was a promotion aimed at early adopters to increase market saturation, but I'm holding out slim hope that between now and April 30, something like that will happen again.

That's seems highly unlikely, the retail price of the droid is about $600. The discounts we get are given in conjunction with contracts, due to the fact that over a period of 2 years they will get there monies worth out of giving us the initial discount. if you can get a brand new droid phone for $100 without a contract, please take a picture of the advertisement info and sale receipt. Also, send me the phone number to that best buy so I can get one too :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LisSuz

Reaction score
Well, Alfador, I think I may have just beaten ya out on the whole being a "noob", asking NooB questions, etc...so now you can relax; there is now someone here that knows much less than you do, I am sure! G. Its funny how so many peeps are in the same boat about this issue. I just called Verizon this morn and he said that there is no problem buying your phone elsewhere then adding it to your V. acct.

Now, here is a GOOD NOOB question for ya!: I was wondering if it is still an issue that phones that you don't buy from your cellular provider are "locked" or not. I remember WAAAAY back in the day when peeps bought these phones and found that they were "locked" and couldn't use them. Is that all just ancient history? Or can I just go out and buy a Droid Charge from someone for much less and add it to my verizon acct without worrying about it being locked or unlocked, etc? There ya go! Dumbest ? of the day! hehe

nikecar

Reaction score
Well, Alfador, I think I may have just beaten ya out on the whole being a "noob", asking NooB questions, etc...so now you can relax; there is now someone here that knows much less than you do, I am sure! G. Its funny how so many peeps are in the same boat about this issue. I just called Verizon this morn and he said that there is no problem buying your phone elsewhere then adding it to your V. acct.

Now, here is a GOOD NOOB question for ya!: I was wondering if it is still an issue that phones that you don't buy from your cellular provider are "locked" or not. I remember WAAAAY back in the day when peeps bought these phones and found that they were "locked" and couldn't use them. Is that all just ancient history? Or can I just go out and buy a Droid Charge from someone for much less and add it to my verizon acct without worrying about it being locked or unlocked, etc? There ya go! Dumbest ? of the day! hehe

Zombie_undeadthread.jpg