Add button doesn't work

nortonsk

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a new user and not understanding some of the features. I'm trying to add a widget. I go to the Home screen, which had 8 icons, hold the menu button down and see 5 gray icons: Add, Wallpaper, Search, Notifications and Settings. When I tap any except Add, I get submenus. Add doesn't do anything. Would appreciate any help you can provide.

nortonsk

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a new user and not understanding some of the features. I'm trying to add a widget. I go to the Home screen, which had 8 icons, hold the menu button down and see 5 gray icons: Add, Wallpaper, Search, Notifications and Settings. When I tap any except Add, I get submenus. Add doesn't do anything. Would appreciate any help you can provide.

nortonsk

One of those options should say Widget, if not I can't help...Bump for ya

OP
N

nortonsk

Reaction score
I don't see a widgets option. I thought I followed procedure I saw on two separate threads. It's as if the Add button is not activated.

Taegost

Reaction score
Holding down the Menu button only delays the display of the menu. You have to long-press on a blank spot of the home screen itself (Where you normally drag the icons).
Also, keep in mind, that not all widgets take up the same screen real estate, and most don't tell you how big they are, so if you get an error about not enough space, try to clear up a 3x3 spot on the screen, as most widgets fall within that size somehow.

JCo352

Reaction score
If your screen is full, the add button will be grayed out.

tameone

Reaction score
8 Icons shouldn't fill up the screen if they're all 1x1 (i.e. app icons).

If the screen isn't full, pressing Add after hitting Menu key should bring up a sub menu which lists shortcuts, widgets, folders, wallpapers (basically, hitting Add from Menu is similar to long pressing on a blank portion of any home screen).

OP
N

nortonsk

Reaction score
Problem Resolved

Thanks Fun4lo, Taegost and JCo352. Starting to understand that size does matter, at least with icons. Was able to make more space and activate Add button. It takes some practice to know how long to hold down buttons, et. al. I do like the Droid and will like it even more as I get to know it.

nortonsk

tameone

Reaction score
Thanks Fun4lo, Taegost and JCo352. Starting to understand that size does matter, at least with icons. Was able to make more space and activate Add button. It takes some practice to know how long to hold down buttons, et. al. I do like the Droid and will like it even more as I get to know it.

nortonsk

You never need to long press Menu. It's only activated by a single "press". Only Home and Search have alternate functionality between a single press and a long press. For Home, long press brings up the task switcher, for Search, it activates voice search.