Add a device to Device Manager

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
How do I get the Device Manager to manage multiple devices?

I have two Android phones and two Android tablets. I currently have the phones and tablets on separate Google accounts but I might consolidate them into one Google account. Currently my old phone, a Motorola Droid X, is in the Android Device Manager. I am trying to add my new phone, a Galaxy S5. They use the same Google account.

Both devices appear in the Google Play Store settings. I have tried to follow the instructions in Turn Android Device Manager on or off - Accounts Help for the S5 but when I go to Android Device Manager, either from my PC or from the S5, all I get is the Droid X.

How do I get the Device Manager to also manage the S5? If that is not possible, then has Google officially stated that each device must have a different Google account?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
If both devices are logged into the same Google account they should both show... How long has the S5 been connected to the account? I have multiple on my account and they all show up. As when I go to download an app from the Play Store on a PC I have to select what device to send it too....

OP
S

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
I got the S5 Friday so it has been in the account a couple of days. The Device Manager was set up earlier today but I think there is not a delay for it to work. It still does not work.

I get the same thing as you do, I do get a selection of the two devices for the Play Store. The Device Manager however is for doing things like finding a lost or stolen phone and locking the phone and stuff like that.

Android has a "Find My Phone" feature but as best as I can tell it is not supported by T-Mobile. My phone does not have it. Apparently there is an Airdroid application that I can use instead of the Device Manager and perhaps I need to use it.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
After looking closer mine does still show both devices there..... Did you click the drop down arrow next to the device name?

FireShot Capture 2 - Android Device Manager - https___www.google.com_android_devicemanager.png

OP
S

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming it should work.

I have tapped and clicked everywhere I can find. If I have tried the drop down arrow you are talking about then it only shows the one device.

So what I will try next is to search for anything specific to the Device Manager for my device.

OP
S

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
I have searched and everything I can find says it should work.

There is one possible explanation. As I said, Airdroid does something similar. It appears in the Security Device Administrators setting along with the Android Device Manager. I uninstalled it but that did not fix the problem. Perhaps there is a conflict still lingering in my system. That is the only possibility I can think of.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's strange. My devices show up pretty quick in Device Manager. As long as they're on the same account, they should be there.

I'm assuming that you've got Device Manager installed on the S5, since you're talking about Device Administrators and etc. That's all I've ever done is install the app and login to it, but I'm not even sure that that is necessary. My Hisense Android TV even shows up on my Device Manager and I don't recall having ever installed the app on there...