Problem after factory reset

Sebpereira

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung J5
I did a factory reset on my phone using the device manager on my notebook. Now the phone won't recognize my google account. Every time I tried to enter the phone it tells me to sign in using the google account synced with the device, but that is my account and it won't recognize it.
This happened 6 hours ago. Is there a period I need to wait before trying again? If I do a factory reset from the phone will that fix the problem?
Thanks

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What's the error when you attempt to sign-in?

OP
S

Sebpereira

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung J5
It tells me to sign in using the google account previously synced with the device. But that is my account, is the only google account I have.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Then that's strange. Maybe something got confused during the reset and doing it again may make it work. You need to have an Internet connection for it to work even if it's cellular.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It appears the Bypass Protection requires you to "prove you are the owner of the phone before the factory data reset...log in with your Google account that was added to the phone before resetting." What you are expected to do is REMOVE all Google accounts BEFORE resetting and this would not have happened. The purpose is to (attempt to), prevent the phone from being stolen and then set up with another user, (hopefully), making your phone less prone to theft as it should thwart thieves and make the phone unmarketable. However like almost every way to prevent access to a phone, there are methods eventually discovered to circumvent such protection.

There are ways to get past this 72 hour lockout, but it requires some careful navigation of steps and utilization of Samsung's website and a tool that needs to be downloaded and sideloaded on the phone, after installing the partner app on a desktop PC and connecting it to the PC with a USB cable.

Follow the video here;

Here's the same video provider with your model phone, it may be easier to follow with this link but either will work.

What is happening is that the combination of the sidesync app on the desktop and phone, and the Samsung account you create allows the phone to be FULLY factory reset, erasing ALL DATA, including the previous google account information. This way it will act like a phone right off the retail shelf upon restart.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It appears the Bypass Protection requires you to "prove you are the owner of the phone before the factory data reset...log in with your Google account that was added to the phone before resetting." What you are expected to do is REMOVE all Google accounts BEFORE resetting and this would not have happened. The purpose is to (attempt to), prevent the phone from being stolen and then set up with another user, (hopefully), making your phone less prone to theft as it should thwart thieves and make the phone unmarketable. However like almost every way to prevent access to a phone, there are methods eventually discovered to circumvent such protection.

There are ways to get past this 72 hour lockout, but it requires some careful navigation of steps and utilization of Samsung's website and a tool that needs to be downloaded and sideloaded on the phone, after installing the partner app on a desktop PC and connecting it to the PC with a USB cable.

Follow the video here;

Here's the same video provider with your model phone, it may be easier to follow with this link but either will work.

What is happening is that the combination of the sidesync app on the desktop and phone, and the Samsung account you create allows the phone to be FULLY factory reset, erasing ALL DATA, including the previous google account information. This way it will act like a phone right off the retail shelf upon restart.
Excellent information as always @FoxKat! I have a related question and please correct me if I am wrong. The situation the OP described and you posted would only happen if you do a FDR within 72 hours of a Google account password change...or do a FDR and then change the Google account password before logging into the phone again? If you do a FDR with no associated G account password change, this situation does not occur, correct?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the complements! You are right.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the complements! You are right.

Thanks FoxKat. I wasn't trying to troubleshoot your post, just trying to understand the new Google policies & have read some conflicting information. I may need to do a FDR on my wife's phone and don't want to end up not being able to log in again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have no fear. I didn't take what you asked as a criticism. I understood it for what it was, a simple question.

What you'll want to do is either completely remove all OTHER Gmail accounts from the phone first (if there are any others besides the primary one), and then finally remove the primary one, OR set the phone lock to EITHER "None" OR "Swipe". Obviously the easier choice would be to change the phone lock to " None " before factory restoring.