Ack! Can you point me to the Lost & Found?

RatCracker

Reaction score
Hi! As my time to research a new phone has been limited, it has taken me 2 years to figure out which phone would be best. Obviously in that time, more options became available... lol, I know it sounds crazy to have taken so long, but since my current phone never had any issues, a new phone was low on my priority list.

I'm currently using an orange LG enV. Only recently has it started to have problems, but holy cow! Recently, nearly everyday something else isn't working on it. So now a new phone is a very high priority.

I've been to a few Verizon stores, read reviews, poured over the forums, fondled tons of friend's phones... I'm still lost. Originally, I wanted the X because of the large screen. However, now I am clueless. I'd like to go with a newer model, but don't know which one.

My use is based on: 30% geek (can I tweak it?), 25% nerd (can I play on it?), 30% mom/female (long nails & love convenience & durability), 10% old fashioned (thicker phones I can hold on my shoulder without getting a stiff neck and not having to using an earpiece), and 5% everything else (whatever that is).

I'll keep reading and touching the phones, but any direction you have to offer would be very appreciated.

Thanks for the forum and the assist! :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you dying for a keyboard (the enV had a great one)?

Want speed (network, like download speed)?

I have a Droid 3 which has a great slide out keyboard. It only has 3G speed, but I'm mostly on WiFi at home. A good feeling phone with some thickness to it.

The RAZR just came out today which is super thin and 4G (fast!) speed.

If you want a little more bulk than the RAZR you could go with the Bionic.

A lot of choices. What did you want to buy when you "decided"?

OP
RatCracker

RatCracker

Reaction score
"Are you dying for a keyboard (the enV had a great one)?"

I loved the enV keyboard, but don't need one. I'm tactile, so having one would be a bonus. Easier with fingernails, I think.

"Want speed (network, like download speed)?"

Speed is good. :) In my past life, the faster the better... Now? Quality over quantity.

"I have a Droid 3 which has a great slide out keyboard. It only has 3G speed, but I'm mostly on WiFi at home. A good feeling phone with some thickness to it."

3G is good enough to me... I live in a remote area... We won't have 4G for another 10 years, I'm bettin'! LOL When I travel, it is mostly to other small town locations out in the Wild West. (Mostly west of the Mississippi.)

Being female and toting wee ones around, I demand (lol really?) good reception. If something goes wrong out in the boonies, I'd like to be able to call for help.

Thickness? Yes! I love that! The really slender phones are just too darn hard to hold to my ear with cookie dough on one hand and pencil/paper in the other. I don't like having to hunt for the earpiece.

"The RAZR just came out today which is super thin and 4G (fast!) speed."

I like that the other phones have been test-driven... reviews from real folks are out... I don't think I could trust the RAZR and wouldn't be able to utilize the speed... (dang it!) I might need to go "look" at one, tho.

"If you want a little more bulk than the RAZR you could go with the Bionic."

It looks, tho, like a lot of folks are having some serious issues... won't charge, disconnections, messed up screens...?? I love the looks of it, and the opportunities to play with it, but really don't want the headache if at all possible and still have a smartphone.

"A lot of choices. What did you want to buy when you "decided"?"

I don't think I understand this question... When? Right away. Who? Probably *611. What? Definitely going to take a longer/deeper/harder look at D3, thanks to your suggestion. :) It was the D2 when I got lost and couldn't see out anymore.

Thank you for your help! :biggrin:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I meant, the D2 is what you were looking at. The D3 is a great upgrade from that IMO.

Go have a look at them all!

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ALOHA...i agree if ur still into the keyboard then yes the D3. its slight bigger than the previous models. or u can check into the Samsung Stratosphere, also Qwerty (keyboard). good luck...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DroidForums!! These guys already gave some great advice so I am just saying HI!!

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since you're not looking for 4G, the Incredible 2 might be a pretty solid phone for you. Not too big, fingernail friendly (love that you admit that!), lots of development...

Welcome to DF!

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. I would spend some time looking around. There are several devices to play around with before you make that big decision. And glad that I am not the only one who was satisfied with their phone for so long! dancedroid

OP
RatCracker

RatCracker

Reaction score
2 hours at the Verizon store

Thank you for the Welcome!

I was down at the Verizon store and really took my time touching each phone... Well, so to speak. Only the droids.

I love, love the weight, look, and feel of the D3. The keyboard is awesome! I think I liked the Trident case cover with it, as well. It made the phone a bit thicker so it sat on my shoulder best. I really doubt I'd ever dock it. Price on just the phone was a $119 with my $100 credit. (My last new every 2 deal.) Hmmm.

The Incredible 2 didn't seem to have the balance. I liked the look, tho... They only had a sample one, not a real one. Hate that. They just feel different for some reason. Purely psychological? My big kiddo has the 1st Incredible and likes it mostly. It's been pretty glitchy which drives her nuts.

The RAZR was just way too thin, but the large screen was fantastic! Did I mention thing? Skinny, bean pole, toothpick! Omgosh! Amazing.

The Bionic was very pretty. That surprised me. I was expecting it to be more "Steve Austin'ish" and not so Farah. However, by the time a case was on it, it lost the pretty and looked like "just" a phone. Definitely had more bells and whistles than I need. (LOL, need vs want.)

I mentioned to the sales lady, "What good is a wireless phone if you have to be plugged in all time 'cuz the battery sucks?" She stared at me and said, "I hadn't thought of that." -sigh-

My understanding is that all of the Droid suffer from battery drain. I'm used to plugging my in once every day or two... not a few times a day. She showed me a $40 Power Pac thing. ??? Seriously? Another $40? Again, sigh.

Thank you so much for your guidance. It was a huge help. I feel a lot better armed. :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can go about 12-14 hours without charging. Screen on time is generally only about 2-3 hours of that time tho.