Acer unleashes Android Tablet flood

J

JohnDroid

We've seen a flood of Android Tablets coming out lately (or announced) and Acer didn't want to be left in the cold. So they've announced a number of new Android Tablets today. While the market is already quite saturated, it's been saturated by cheap Chinese/Taiwanese tablets that leave a lot to be desired in fit and finish and polish. Finally however though, the big boys are getting in on the action and we are seeing tablets that really are worthy of your hard earned dollars.

We hope that Acer hears our cries for high quality tablets without contracts and at good pricing... Acer in the past has been known for just that so we have our fingers crossed. Samsung will hopefully be faced with enough competition and be forced to lower prices.

In the mean time, here's what we know about the Tablets courtesy of Engadget's Live Blog.

The largest tablet is going to be 10.1 inch and will run Android but they did not specify which exact version. I'm sure it will depend on when it actually hits the market. This tablet features a 1Ghz processor, 5 megapixel camera, HDMI and a resolution of 1280x800.

The next tablet is a 7 inch with the same resolution of 1280x800 and a 1.2Ghz Qualcomm Dual-Core processor. This seems to be a great size/performance ratio and hopefully the smaller screen will make the price a bit more palatable.

The last device is a 4.8" screen, 1.3 Megapixel front-facing camera, 8 Megapixel rear-facing camera, HD video recording capabilities and some other miscellaneous features.

For more information on these, check out the Android Tablet Forum and the Acer Android Tablet Forum there.

(Source: Engadget)

Darkseider

Reaction score
So long as they can be rooted and have Vanilla Android installed I will be happy. Acer UI 4.5 reads like "FAIL FAIL FAIL" to me. Perfect example is the Viewsonic GTab. I bought one and the TnT UI is horrid. I rooted it and now have CM 6.1 Beta 3 running on it and it FLIES.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Why have we heard about 20 Android Tablets but have not seen much except by Archos or Samsung? The iPad has been out for months get it it together!

Darkseider

Reaction score
Why have we heard about 20 Android Tablets but have not seen much except by Archos or Samsung? The iPad has been out for months get it it together!

You have to remember a lot of the tablets out there now are Chinese knock offs. Most suck but some are VERY serviceable. The Viewsonic GTab is exceptional when rooted and running CM 6.1 Beta 3. Then there is an 8" multi-touch resistive screen Galaxy Tab knock off that specs and performs better than the Galaxy Tab for half the price. The Elocity A7 is an unknown as is the Flatpad A10T but hoping by months end to have some news/reviews of them out. Lastly are the Archos Gen 8 tablets which are VERY impressive. I have two 8 Gig Archos 70's coming in for Christmas for 2 of my children. The third is getting a WIFI iPad becuase he has built a substantial paid app/game collection over the years with his iPod(s).

By Q1/Q2 next year the market will be saturated with quality 7" and 10" Android tablets running either high end Cortex A8 or Cortex A9 SoCs and Gingerbread or Honeycomb at a minimum. Hell I am willing to bet the cheapo Chinese knock-offs actually become quality knock offs once the prices and components (capacitive screens) become more readily available.